Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just had my first experience with long haired kitties, and poo butt! :yikes Poor Lucy, had to suffer the torture of me pulling stuck poo off her little hairy hind end! Is there anything I can do, aside from shaving back there, to prevent this? Will trimming help?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Some people take their long-haired kitties to the vet for "sanitary shaves," I think they call it, just to keep that area cleaner. We used to just laugh about it with Rookie and take a swipe at her hiney with paper towel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just dip the back end in some warm water and wash it up!My Princess and countless long haired rescueshave had the occasional pooey bottom (poo stuck to the fur,or just an odor) this always worked for me :) also you can just trim the back end down if the cat will let you!Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
Amazingly, the twins hardly ever have a problem, which I don't understand because they don't have a potty patch and they have the fuzziest butts. Cleo definitely needs her potty patch, and Cinderella is okay most of the time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Jack gets a poo butt occasionally, its normally the day after I tell hubby, Jack really needs a butt trim (and we don't do it that day).

We just take scissors to his rear side, hubby scruffs him and I trim a little patch.

Harley has a furry booty too but for some reason no issues--his fur is a very different texture than Jack's though.

leslie

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Torri used to have that issue all the time!

However now that I think about it since we switched to raw it hasn't come up....bonus!

She generally gets bathed once a month anyways...otherwise she turns cream, lol

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!

Lucy has a very very soft texture to her hair, it really drapes her body, and hangs down. Her back end, and her tail, are very fluffy. It sounds like I'm gonna have to trim her little hiney! :lol:

Ok, so about how much should I trim off?

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Holly used to need a potty patch, before we figured out that fish doesn't agree with her. Now, I may have to do a little minor cleaning once every 6 weeks or so. Not bad enough to make it worth taking her to the vet or groomer to get shaved. Usually by the time I see it, it's dry and I just comb it out.

This past summer I was over the neighbors and I get a call from my mother "come home, your daughter has poopy pants and you need to clean her up". I figure it was the normal couple of strands of fur coated in poop. Boy was I wrong, she looked like her butt exploded. What a mess! She wasn't happy about it, but right into the sink she went. Apparently the new treats I gave her the night before didn't agree with her....

·
Registered
261 Posts
doodlebug said:
Holly used to need a potty patch, before we figured out that fish doesn't agree with her. Now, I may have to do a little minor cleaning once every 6 weeks or so. Not bad enough to make it worth taking her to the vet or groomer to get shaved. Usually by the time I see it, it's dry and I just comb it out.

This past summer I was over the neighbors and I get a call from my mother "come home, your daughter has poopy pants and you need to clean her up". I figure it was the normal couple of strands of fur coated in poop. Boy was I wrong, she looked like her butt exploded. What a mess! She wasn't happy about it, but right into the sink she went. Apparently the new treats I gave her the night before didn't agree with her....

lmmfao!!! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
The groomer shaved Cleo, but I just trim off pieces with bits of litter stuck to them now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to deal with this too! I just cut all Neo's fluff in that area. He's a really good boy about it and I just use scissors. I've found it gets worse if A. his hair gets long and B. if his littler box is running a little lower than usual on litter. I also find that if I check his hiney RIGHT when he gets out of his box there is usually something there. So I try to give him time to clean it himself. Most of the time if I notice it I flip him over and use some pet wipes. I feel like he's a baby! I just don't want little poop spots all over my house.....oh the joys of a long haired cat! :lol:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I had hubby hold Lucy for me tonight while I clipped her. She is so good about everything! We had another poo incidint today in the basement, so I know she really needed a trim. I trimmed off just about a half inch all the way around her pooper, and down. I did trim it to just about 1/4" away from her skin, so we'll see how this works. Poor little Lucy!

The good thing, is she never gets mad at me for anything, she must really trust me! :luv

1 - 15 of 15 Posts