Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since reading Ya Ya Sisterhood I've been wondering about bourbon and branch water. I've seen it mentioned before and looked it up on line, but I'm still not clear. Is branch water another name for bottled water or what?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Please, allow a resident of "Red Neckia" answer that....

A branch is an un-named tribuatary of a stream, creek, or river. A full name would be, to quote a local one; "the south branch of lindsey's creek". So, it would be water from a small, no-name branch flowing to (or from) a larger body of water.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Accordin' to my "Playboy's Bartenders Guide", circa 1964, that I got in a yard sale somewhere once upon a time, branch water in bartender is just "pure water", not soda water or seltzer. I guess it's just bartender slang for clean pure water.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh finally an answer. Just plain water. Well I be darned.
I've heard that adding a little water to bourbon is supposed to open the aroma but I've not done that, seems sacrilegious to do that to a good bourbon. thanx Kentucky Mike

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Whiskey and water or Bourbon and water is a pretty common mix. I've never done it because I just do not have the stomach. I wouldn't even attempt that in my glory days of college.

I used to use the Jack Daniels "Double Bubble" quite often. It was originally intended for whiskey and water (whiskey on top, water on bottom) but I always did Jack and Coke or Jack and Dr. Pepper.

·
Registered
998 Posts
branch water
n.
1. Plain water, especially when mixed with a liquor such as whiskey.
2. Chiefly Southern U.S. Water from a stream.
[branch, stream + water.]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts