Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of history about my cat first. He is a small black male cat, about 18months old. He is pretty much an outdoorsy cat but recently has starting licking his belly and inside hind legs excessively, to the point where you can see the pink skin underneath!
There has been no change to his diet, no change to the household routine and the vet has already checked him for fleas and worms. In fact the vet gave him a worming tablet about a month ago and there has been no change.
I know it's a massive subject but has anyone had experience of this or has some idea which direction we should investigate?
I should say we live in town, pretty close to an industrial site but have always lived here and he's shown no sign of this behaviour before.
He seems to lick these areas more than any other part.
I've also checked for fleas and regularly use frontline spot on, which, again I've always used on him and our other cat (who is showing no sign of this behaviour)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome to CatForum.
What you are describing sounds like an allergy. I had two cats who were allergic to fleas. One would over-groom his rump (just in front of his tail) and make the hair thin-out and the other would over-groom the fur of his belly and inner hind legs. For them, I never *saw* any fleas, but if I treated them, they stopped the over-grooming. Since you say your kitty's been treated for fleas, I would guess that he is exhibiting symptoms of a FOOD allergy.
What are you feeding him?
Many commercial cat foods ... almost every brand you can find at a grocery store, many other 'great' or 'premium' brands from pet-shops and even the Veterinary Diet foods ... have ingredients that are *not* good for our cats; mainly carbs in the form of undigestible grains. I am not very knowledgeable about the various ingredients of food, but if you did a search through the Health/Nutrition Forum I'm sure you'd be able to find several good threads that discuss what the Best, Better, Good and Horrible ingredients and brands are.
Good luck to you and your kitty!
heidi =^..^=

1 - 2 of 2 Posts