Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently (end of last month), we adopted a 10 y/o neutered male sheltie from the local shelter. For the last week or so, our 7 y/o spayed DLH (maine coon mix, also came to us as a stray) has been shedding like crazy. I can't seem to groom her fast enough to catch up with the shedding (I filled 1/2 of a sandwich bag from one grooming yesterday afternoon). She also had a bad bout of hairballs over the weekend, which she seems to have passed...though this seems to have set back dog/cat relations quite a bit, as she's gone from mostly ignoring the dog to bullying him whenever possible :roll: .

She has a vet appointment tomorrow, just to make sure that there's nothing major causing this shedding...she's not losing fur in patches, it's just an overall kind of coat-blow (and I've noticed a little more dandfruff than the small bit she often has). I have been thinking that it's the stress of having a new animal in the house (she doesn't like dogs at all). We've been "doing everything right" as far as the dog/cat introductions go, having read up on the subject before bringing the dog home, but I'm sure it's still stressful for her (and me!).

A friend suggested sprinkling a bit of brewers' yeast over her food to help the shedding, but I was going to wait until I could ask the vet first. Disclosure: Right now, she's on <ducks> Hills' SciDiet Hairball Lite (I know, it was recommended by two different vets, so I listened to them...and I've been loath to change her diet drastically while she's still getting used to the dog, so one thing at a time). I'd like to eventually switch her to a mostly wet diet (which should be no issue, as she loves wet food) to see if I can get her weight down a bit and improve her skin and coat (It's not bad, but could be better).

Is there anything in particular that I should ask the vet to check for tomorrow? She is otherwise acting pretty normal, no litterbox or scratching problems, is eating fine, will play (as long as the dog is safely in his room). She had a day or so of damp nose and extra tears right after the dog came home (she's always had a lot of tear buildup, but nothing colored or gooey like the conjunctivitis she had when she came to us), but all of that seemed to clear up in a day or two. I just want to make sure to ask the right questions when she's at the vet.

Thanks for your help...it's been a nerve-wracking month :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
First off, Congratulations on adopting a senior kitty! I myself adopted a 9 year-old a month ago! Well, I am having a similar situation with my baby, Sid. He's experiencing like a total coat change of such. When I brought him in for some shots, the vet told me that they are just changing coats, and getting their undercoat out. It is summer and they are shedding off excess. Anyway, he was like this for the whole month...he is finally slowing down.

But do take her to the vet and let us know! Just my 2 cents....sorry! :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(actually, the sheltie was adopted as a senior...the cat came to us as a stray about 5 years ago, we estimate she was about 2 y/o then...I didn't make that very clear)

This is more than a seasonal shed, at least based on my experience with her. I can usually keep up with the usual spring/summer shed, but this has been nuts. I told the cat yesterday that I was going to knit myself a second cat out of all this fur. :lol: I'm pretty sure it's stress, but definitely want to make sure I'm not missing something more serious, that's all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts