Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna, my 4 month old Himalayan/Ragdoll cross is very, very vocal! As I type this, she is upstairs crying non-stop at a housefly on the window. The last few nights she has been waking me up in the middle of the night crying (She sleeps with me). She seriously cries like she is a human baby! She has been crying more often over the past couple of days. Is it possible she is in pain from new teeth coming in or something? Or is she just becoming more outgoing? She has always been vocal & has been known to carry on conversations with me. I wonder if it could go all the way back to her Siamese ancestry (since she is half-Himalayan).

·
Registered
454 Posts
There are just some cats that are vocal. Moosey is vocal. She will meow for no reason. Just walk around and meow. If I talk to her she usually stops, but other times she just keeps doing it.

My sister's cat meows and cries ALL THE TIME. She is very very vocal.

I read somewhere that the more you talk to a cat, the more vocal they are.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Some cats are very vocal for no reason. My youngest cat never meows, only chirps when she's playful. My ragdoll meows loudly only when She wants food/attention or if she wants in a room that the door is closed. My other cat, Anna, is most vocal when she wants you to play with her. She will literally scream in the basement and if no one comes down, she will run up with a toy in her mouth and drop it at your feet. They are all so silly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
454 Posts
Plus, cats usually only "meow" when they want to communicate with humans. Hissing, chirps and growling plus tail signals are how they communicate with other cats and animals (although I have read that dogs can't tell cat tail signals because some are opposite of dogs).

Maybe she was saying to you "Hey, Human, there is a little creature up here. Get it for me!"

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Cheddar is also a very vocal cat. He'll talk to me, meow when he's playing, meow at the wall, talk to Sadie, and sometimes just walk around making noises... I love his meow too, so I tend to encourage him! It's a deeper meow, not the squeaky or higher pitch meows of many cats, and he has such a range of noises too. Very entertaining (unless it's the middle of the night... but thankfully he doesn't do that very often!)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Zephyr is extremely vocal. Just his personality. Maisie is almost silent so they balance out into one normal cat. ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is she spayed? If not, the increased vocalization may be her first heat. Better get her done, quick! :)

Some cats do just have a lot to say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simba has a number of different vocalizations - some of which only occur at 3 am. When I first adopted her it freaked me out; I thought she was possessed a la "The Exorcist". Now I know the voice is just her way of amusing herself in the middle of the night. But I still wonder what she's saying.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Instead of researching the mating season of a fruit fly Colleges need to research cat speak. I want to know what mine are crying 24-7!!!! Watch they are just saying something to the affect of " This annoys mom so lalalallala"

:eek:rcat

:fust
:catsm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing Luna now does is to announce herself when she enters the room by crying loudly. She is showing no other signs of being in heat so I think it is her personality.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Lots of cats meow when they enter a room... sort of like "I've arrived, hello, pay attention to me" ;) ... some cats are just very vocal.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Zephyr always announces when he needs to use the litterbox, and then announces again when he has finished. ;)

He's been doing that ever since he was a baby. No idea why.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lots of cats meow when they enter a room... sort of like "I've arrived, hello, pay attention to me" ;) ... some cats are just very vocal.
That is EXACTLY what Moosey does. Usually it is when she was in the other room and she walks into the living room. She announces that she is there and we should all look at her. Usually I just say, "what's up" and she looks at me, then does something cute, then runs off. If I don't acknowledge her, sometimes she will meow more.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Zephyr always announces when he needs to use the litterbox, and then announces again when he has finished. ;)

He's been doing that ever since he was a baby. No idea why.
How funny! At least you know when he needs to go! No surprises there! Plus if you ever need a urine or stool sample, you will know when you can get it! Haha

·
Banned
198 Posts
Artie was not vocal when I adopted him. Over the past year, I have been talking to him a lot and he has responded to the point where he 'yells' at me!
I always know when I forget to do something pertaining to him. or something is out of place or wrong..
Examples: I do not pick up the litter box as soon as he wants (I do it at about 3 times a day), He wants more or different food, one time I washed out his water bowl but forgot to fill it-just placed it down empty-got yelled at, wants to cuddle, wants to go out, when he wants to play, when he wants to go out on the balcony, when he wants to do anything, and when I come home from work! I am always getting yelled at!
It is funny.Artie has so many different vocalizations depending on what it pertains to...

He has turned into one vocal kitty!
and he has trained ME well,
But I love him..
:catsm:catsm

·
Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Luna is probably saying "HEY MOM!! Come see what I found..HURRY!! HEY!! MOOOMMM!!!!!"

I have 5 indoor cats and not a one is vocal. It's amazing just how quiet the place is with all these cats here. Missy trills, other than that it's as quiet as a mouse house around here.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have 5 indoor cats and not a one is vocal. It's amazing just how quiet the place is with all these cats here. Missy trills, other than that it's as quiet as a mouse house around here.
Maisie is a silent one, too. It was bizarre to watch him burn his paw on a lamp while chasing a bee (poor baby!) and not make a sound.

When he had his UTI, I was asked several times at the vet's office about changes in vocalization to try to gauge his discomfort, and I had to explain that no, he's not crying but with him that means nothing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
She sounds like a Siamese cat! I have never had the pleasure of owning one (would love one) but I heard Siamese sound like a human baby wailing. Lol, kind of disturbing but my two cats are fairly vocal and it doesn't bother me. However, waking up in the middle of the night, that would be hard! Luckily, my two are pretty good about not doing that--- but they still cry throughout normal times! I bet it's her Siamese ancestry. And if she hasn't been spayed, that could be another reason! They can go into heat as young as 4 months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts