Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

My cat and I have recently gone through a turbulent time - moving apartments, plus going from two cats to one. It's been a lot for my Mal, and she's now turned into a chatterbox. She's always been something of a talker, but now it seems excessive - she's mrrowing all the time, except for when she's on me or within two feet of me.

I took her to the vet and had bloodwork done, which came back clear. This is behavioral, not physical. I have a feliway diffuser going, and am making sure to play with her after work and before bed. She's okay until about 3AM, then she gets restless and starts wandering around mrrowing.

I feel like there are steps I can take to deal with this on my own - I'm planning on picking up a white noise machine to help cover the night sounds - but I'll be honest, I'm terrified of my neighbors. I live in an old building with thin walls/ceilings. I can hear the footsteps up above easily, but conversations/other noises are much more muted so I'm *hoping* the meowing isn't as loud as it seems outside of my own apartment. So far my downstairs neighbors haven't complained about it, but we've had other issues already, and I'm terrified that this will become one.

I'm never giving up Mal, but I'd just as soon avoid having to pack up and move and be on the hook for the rest of my lease. Does anyone have any tips? Gone through something similar? I'm hoping it's an adjustment phase and she'll grow out of it, but in case it's not, I could use some advice.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Do you have only one diffuser for the whole house?? One will cover about 400sf, so unless your house is teeny tiny, you need more if the cat is not confined to one closed off room.

If the vocalization is recent, then I tend to think that it will not be permanent. It will level off once the situation levels out. You might knock on the neighbor's doors and do an advance diffuse. Explain that the loud meowing is temporary due to stress and that once everything has settled down it should go away. Might help to bring a small gift - cookies, bottle of wine, flowers - anything like that. Being a proactive neighbor has helped me immeasurably in years past.

I did this after my remodel. The remodelers were in the driveway cutting rebar, metal railings, wood - sometimes until 10PM. It was AWFUL for months yet no one complained. Once it was done I went all over anywhere where I thought the noise would have impacted them and delivered invitations to come see our remodel. We had drinks and appetizers, and it was GREAT!! We had about 40 people show up and made lots of new friends that day and neighbor finally got to meet neighbor. Most of us have been very good friends for years!

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
All the change you've gone through have been upsetting for him, but likely the one that has hwere "mrrowing" is because she is missing the other cat. Were they good pals or just tolerated each other. The mrrowing is usually a "call" meow, often when a cat has a mouse it wants you to see, or a favourite toy, so you may be calling for the other cat. It may take her a few months more adjustment to realize she's now an only cat. Perhaps if you put out an interactive game or a cardboard box with holes in it just before you go to bed, she may amuse herself and let you sleep. Put the toys away during the day so she doesn't get bored with them. Hope some of these suggestions help.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=interactive+cat+toys&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=14891519982&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18010435601983785605&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_29s7g3lph2_e

1 - 4 of 4 Posts