Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't actually gotten my kitten yet. He's only a week old, and it will probably be November before he comes home, but I want to be prepared for him. I've never had a cat before so I'm trying to learn quickly. I want to stock up on food for him, but I'm worried about the expiry date on food. This might be a stupid question but Is it just the same as human food and will last for a while or will it go out of date too quickly. I don't want to buy a bulk online just to find that it will go out of date before the kitten can eat it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't try to get too much of a stockpile of food before you get your kitty home. Even long-time pet owners will find that sometimes kitty decides to turn hir nose up at a long-time favourite food. (Usually this happens right after the owner buys a case of it.)

Relax! Buy a variety of tasty high-quality foods and see what your cat likes best. THEN you can worry about stockpiling. A case of food's only economical if it gets eaten.

That said, I'm pretty sure the stuff I'm feeding right now has an expiration sometime in 2013. You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Dry food typically has an expiration 1 year from date of manufacture, some are a little longer. Canned generally has 3-4 years. That doesn't mean what you receive will actually have that amount of time before expiration, it will depend on how long it's been in the distribution channel. Popular foods like Wellness and EVO will have longer times because more food is moved thru the system and doesn't languish on a shelf.

That said...I wouldn't recommend any big bulk buys, especially online, until you find out what she likes. She may have definite preferences...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Can I suggest something? The place you get this kitten? find out what they feed kitty, continue to feed her that 1st, then gradually wean her out to your preferred choice of food. Would that be better, so she wouldn't get upset stomach?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I recommend canned wet food. Kibble is actually very bad for cats in the long run :/

Most canned foods I have purchased are good for two years from the date I purchased them. Some of them are good for three years. Store them in a cool place, out of the sun, and they'll be fine.

But - as others have mentioned - as soon as you buy food in bulk, your cat WILL decide he hates it. It is a guarantee of cat-kind. I have witnessed it firsthand many times ;}

So, buy a couple of cans of good kitten food, a variety of brands, and see what your kitten likes once he comes home :}

Good luck, keep us updated on him :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I'll buy a few of each and just play it by ear for a few weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts