Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From earlier today:

Japanese officials and experts have been at pains to say that while there would be radiation leaks, they would be very small and have dismissed suggestions of a repeat of a Chernobyl-type disaster.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction," said Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo.

"Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3-km (1.8-mile) radius."
"but not an explosion" Famous last words...

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from msnbc.com

TOKYO — The walls of a building at a nuclear power station crumbled Saturday following an explosion only hours after Japanese officials said they feared the reactor could melt down.

It was not clear if the damaged building housed the reactor.
Several workers were injured by the blast at Fukushima Unit 1, Japanese TV station NHK reported.

Footage on Japanese TV showed that the walls of one building had crumbled, leaving only a skeletal metal frame block standing. Puffs of smoke were spewing out of the plant.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just read that the metal frame that is still standing is what houses the reactor. The radiation levels that had been climbing before the explosion then began to decline afterwords. They are planning to dispense iodine tablets to combat the radiation given off so far.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Thanks Huge, for some reason that one had slipped my mind. Must be getting old.

Seriously though, it just doesn't seem fair that the Japanese people have to deal with this as well as everything else.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Worried about the cats in Japan (and of course other animals). They have a cat island there and at first they said it was submerged, now it seems perhaps not. They're not sure, but I'm still so sad.

Donated to WSPA in hopes that it will at least help the ones in need. They are sending some help tomorrow morning. Just google WSPA and also Tashirojima (Cat Island) for more info and if you want to help too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts