Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's some unknown cat that sprays about 2x a week at my front door. I have an outer screen door so it goes on past that and against the outside of my inner wood door.

After I wipe it down real wet with bleach, my cat will go absolutely nuts rubbing (scenting) himself against door and floor. Rubbing and rolling around. I guess I should be happy he hasn't started to spray in return (I'm actually surprised he hasn't, even though he is fixed)

Can someone tell me if he's rubbing to put his scent there in response to the other cat's spray, or to put his scent there because I cleaned it up with bleach and he want's t re-scent it?

Oddly enough he doesn't seem to interested in it before I clean it up, only after i bleach it down. Also, he's meowing like crazy at the (closed) front door, but again, only after I bleached it clean, not before.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'd say it is the bleach you are using. Three of my 6 cats go wild over anything I've
cleaned with bleach cleansers; it attracts them like catnip does for some reason. If
the smell is outside your door where your kitty can't get to it, could you try wiping
the area with rubbing alcohol to kill the smell of cat spray? I've used that with success
on my back door where the neighborhood toms like to leave their mark.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's so funny! I clean the kitchen floor with bleach and 3 of our 4 cats go absolutely wild and roll around and act crazy. Then I have to clean the floor again. Ha They do act a bit like it's a catnip high. Really funny to watch.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Three of my 6 cats go wild over anything I've
cleaned with bleach cleansers; it attracts them like catnip does for some reason.
Wow, so maybe the bleach is actually attracting the other cat?

On a separate note, maybe I got lucky or Maybe Toby hasn't caught on to the spraying thing. This has been going on for a few months and Toby has never "reciprocated" by spraying at the door inside the house

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it's not too hot I like to leave the door open (since I have a screen) but now I'm thinking it makes it easier for other cat's to see what I've got here. BUT, I've already seen another cat sitting on an outside ledge looking in my house, and have seen him staring in my front screen, so he already know and is interested in my Toby (male).

Sorry everyone, I've ordered an electronic scatmat. I've tried powders, vinigar, pepper deterrents. Now it's time for me to look after my own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, so maybe the bleach is actually attracting the other cat?
Yes.

The best thing with cat urine is to use an enzymatic cleaner on it, that will even remove odors we can't smell but our cats can. For accidents I always use warm water with Biotex handwashing powder or Ecodor, but those are Dutch brands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts