Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, I posted a story about my kitten Goober who had...eye goobers. He was sneezing and had red, swollen, leaking eyes. The vet diagnosed him with feline herpes and a URI. He gave me 2 weeks of Orbax pills and a tube of Vetrachloracin to apply to his eyes 3x a day to help with the redness and swelling. He recovered nicely and is pretty much fine now. I give him 250 mg of lysine a day as a preventative, but the thing that concerns me is that he still has some discharge from his eyes.

When I first got him from the ASPCA back in June, he had some small eye boogers, and he's always had them to a degree. Since he had the herpes outbreak though, there is generally more discharge than there was before. It's clear or pale yellow, and it collects into hard brown clumps. I wipe his eyes in the morning with warm water before I go to work and when I come home at night to prevent it from building up.

My question is, is this normal? Do some cats just have runny eyes? Everything else is perfectly fine. No more sneezing, no coughing, or anything. His appetite is fine, he plays very energetically, and he makes sure to meow in my face every morning to wake me up for breakfast. Since we went through his recovery together, he's even more friendly.

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

- JBX

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
I understand this is often the case with a cat that's had herpes, to have eye discharge. Some have it the rest of their life. I don't think there's anything more you can do than what you're doing already, wiping it away with warm water. It's just one of those things you have to keep on top of, otherwise the discharge builds up into hard crusts which are uncomfortable for the cat.

Some cats that have had bad ear mites develop too much wax that makes their ears unsightly and messy. Same thing, just have to clean them out every day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll keep up with my cleaning routine. Hopefully it lessens as he gets older. =)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts