Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my cat Minnie became pregnant by a feral cat the day we moved into our new house in the boonies. She had 4 healthy kittens in october.
Some of the feral cats have eye problems. When Minnies kittens were born one of them had a gunky eye as well. We had the vet call in some medicine for her and it cleared up almost imediatley. However it comes back now and then. It is never very bad, just a little gunk. We clean it with warm water and put her ointment on and it goes away agian.
She seems to see fine, she is very healthy. She is the littlest one, but not really by that much.
Is it possible that this was passed on to her by her father? He has never even had contact with her. Or could it just be a baby thing? My youngest daughter had runny eyes until age two. She had to use drops.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Some cats just have runnier eyes than others but if you still have some medicine maybe you can just give it to the kitten when it needs it. I dont know if its ointment or cream but since you already took it to the vet, just make sure you clean it with warm water and a soft tissue. If it seems worse, take it back to the vet. Hope the eyes get better.

My Twinkie always has eye winkies and this black stuff right on top of his nose, I dont know what it is, but sometimes its completely gone and the next day it'll be black again. Some are just more prone to winkies. Hehe :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
sometimes gunk in their eyes is a kitten thing. I have a cat who had eye gunk for several months. It seems as though whenever a new weather front came through, he woud get all gunked up again. But eventually, Fawn out grew his propensity to contract such eye problems. As has been stated earlier, wash out their eyes with warm water on a soft towel or paper towel, and apply terramycin to their eye lids. If for some reason this is neglected for a week or so, the cat takes a chance of loosing the sight of one or both eyes :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
sometimes gunk in their eyes is a kitten thing. I have a cat who had eye gunk for several months. It seems as though whenever a new weather front came through, he woud get all gunked up again. But eventually, Fawn out grew his propensity to contract such eye problems. As has been stated earlier, wash out their eyes with warm water on a soft towel or paper towel, and apply terramycin to their eye lids. If for some reason this is neglected for a week or so, the cat takes a chance of loosing the sight of one or both eyes :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Wayne, that makes me feel better. My older cat gets eye boogers sometimes. However what the kitten gets is not really the same thing. When she was first opening her eyes it was really bad, and would crust over so she could not open her eyes. That is when I called the vet. He gave mee some Terramiacin(spelling?) After we put the medicine on they got better very quickly. Now they still get runny just every once in a while. It is not that bsd when it happens. It seems like it could get worse though if we didnt put her medicine on and wash it with warm water. I am glad to hear your kitten had that and it went away after awhile. I was worried Rosie would always problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts