Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5-yr old domestiuc short hair has a two-week old eye injury. He has finished 2 rounds of antibiotics and seems fine. Eats and drinks and is playful-he is blind in the eye that is injured and the vet says his iris is poking throuhg the cornea, but is it neccessary to have the eye removed? He said last week the eye has a 10% chance of making it and I do't want to have the surgery if I don't have to. Any advice?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello. I'm completely unqualified to give veterinary advice, but I would think a 10% chance of anything good or positive happening is pretty darn low. The surgery probably needs to be done.

Is this a cost issue or concern for how the cat might have negative reactions to surgery?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
How much pain, did the vet say, is this cat is in? How many surgeries has your vet performed of removing an eye?

If your cat goes blind in this eye, it can become infected, even in the future and that is super painful. I always think its better to remove the eye and sew it shut. Its a fairly simple surgery compared to other type of eye surgeries.

One eyed cats function just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts