Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Fatty kittens are 11 days old now and all 3 have thier eyes open but one only has one open. All of thier eyes started opening on the 8th day and are getting wider by the day. Her one eye is open wide and she seems to be feeding and trying to walk as much as the others. She is also the only one that cries when picked up or moved by me - not her mother tho. The eye that is closed seems to have a bit of crust on it like the sleep stuff we have in the morning. Not alot just a small bit between the lids.

Should this kitten be taken to the vet right away? I thought about trying to wipe it gently with a warm rag but don't want to make something worse. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had a kitten with the same thing. I would dampen a soft rag with warm water and gently lay it on the eye. After a few seconds I would wipe gently. This cleared the gunk away and she could open her eye.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just tried that and after the stuff softened up puss started to come out of her eye. My girlfriend is gonna take her to the vet first thing in the morning. I sure hope we caught this in time. It didn't look like there was an eye in there at all. Could this be a birth defect? Also can this be something that can affect the other kittens?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have a one-eyed cat for that exact reason; there was no eyeball, just pus. She was a stray found in an alley. I cleaned it out and sewed it up when I spayed her. She did fine--she's definitely the queen of the house!

Kittens can easily get viral or bacterial eye infections; it's surprising how often this happens. Viruses like herpes are contagious, but my ophthalmologist tells me that virtually all cats are exposed to it as kittens; in some cases it will become a chronic ongoing problem, others are able to keep the virus at bay. For more on this, see http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... unctivitis

Let us know how she does with the vet!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything went good at the vet today. She had an eye infection but it was caught in time. The vet gave us a tube of stuff to put in her eye a few times a day and she has to go back in a week. Oh yea she had a perfect little eye in there : )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I would post a pic of her with her eye open. She still squints it a bit but she seems to be even more active then she was before. I wish I had a better camera then my phone but it does the job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. No flash there. Just a cheap camera thats on a cell phone. Everything has to be perfect and still for a second or two to get a good one and thats not gonna happen with a kitten. I promise I wasnt choking her and flashing a light at her. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts