Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy has another eye ulcer! Since his condition, it's hard to look into his eyes because his inner-eyelids cover them up when I look. It's his 'resisting from the medicine' thing. I started applyin his ointment to relieve the pressure from his eyes more, since they started closing again after the last ulcers.Hie right eye is partially opened now, and his left is completely closed(protecting the ulcer). I seen this last night and I have an appointment to my vet in 2 hours.
I go to Washington DC at 4-5pm TODAY so this is a litle overwhelming.

I was wondering, what exactly causes eye ulcers, and will it continue to come back? Also, what can I do to help prevent it?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see that suggests Saline solution for the cats eye. When I first got him, and didnt know of his problem, I used that. He did not open his eyes all day. He has hydrocephalus, so he's under constant watch to make sure he's happy, excercises, eats and stuff of that sort. when my vet first saw him, he didn't think he'd last long. Under-weight, didn't eat much, worms.. but he's doing much better now. His weight is up, he's playful, and hes EXTREMELY affectionate.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Boy, sounds like you've already done a *great* job with him! :D

You'll note that I suggest saline *until you can get to a vet* because that's not the proper treatment for long-term. It's soothing and does help temporarily.

Eye ointments can become irritating after a few days. So while that's the most common treatment, it doesn't always work. Some vets palso rescribe anti-virals and I even had one opthalmologist try giving the cat an intranasal FVRCP vaccine to try to annoy the immune system into doing something about the herpes! If the ulcer is severe, surgery may be needed to create a flap to protect it. So, there are lots of alternatives-- none of which work all that well in my book. Well, they help heal the ulcer, but the problem tends to come back again and again.

There is an old recipe I have for something called "ulcer solution" that one of the (long since retired) professors at my vet school made up; let me know if your vet would like the recipe and I'll dig it up. It works very well.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out that his hydrocephalus is the culprit. It caused his inner eyelids to close over his eyes(nothing new), but now, since this is his 3rd ulcer, he went to a more check to see what caused it. The pressure to his eyes caused his eyelids to start curling under, rubbing against the eye itself. Since he has hydrocephalus, sedating him is very dangerous... But, the vet is watching him over the weekend while im in Washington DC.. I get back Tuesday. The vet will perform the eye surgery and neuter at the same time on Monday at noon..

Please pray for him. The chances of him surviving is lowered.. I'm scared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts