Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here. I just got home from a very stressful (and expensive) vet visit. :cry: It seems that Jingle Bell, my 14 1/2 yr old cat may have glaucoma. The vet ran a slew of tests, most of which I will have results for tomorrow.
Jingle is an indoor/outdoor cat that I have had since he was 9 weeks old. Last week I noticed his left eye was coudy and watery. I cleaned it out good, kept him in and have been watching it until he could see the vet today. He can't see out of it. They said it could be an infection but also recommended an Opthamologist.
Anyone with any experience with this or advise?
Thanks. :wolfie

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Aw shucks. Sorry to hear that. Seeing an ophthamologist sounds like a good idea. It's only one eye, you say? I doubt it will have much effect on his ability to enjoy his life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Only the left eye. He is super clingy right now and you can tell that he can't see out of it. His depth perception is all off. He has SO good though with taking the meds. I wasn't sure how it would go since he has never needed them before. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. :? I did some research today on glaucoma and they say it's painful. How would I know if this hurts him? :cry:
I just went food shopping and stocked up on his favorites! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The vet tested the pressure in his eye and said it was very elevated. :?: It is red and teary but he is not rubbing it or anything and it isn't swollen. Just very cloudy and teary. I know he can't see out of it because when I put the drops in he doesn't even flinch. When I call tomorrow for the lab results I am going to ask her about pain.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
If the drops you're using are a prescription for glaucoma, then the purpose of the drops is to reduce the pressure inside the eye. I would think that if the pressure is reduced, then that should also make his eye feel better.

Poor kitty!! :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now the drops are just neomyxin/polymyxin while we wait lab results. He is also on Clindamycin capsules 3x a day (in case it's Toxoplasmosis)sp?.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts