Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Great forum you have here! I'm hoping I can get some opinions on this terible condition. About 1 month ago my male 3 yr. old Buddy made an emergency visit to the vet. He was crying and licking himself on the penis. It was a blockage (struvite crystals) and they catheterized him for 48 hrs. After 3 nights, we brought him home. The vet gave us some Waltham ph presription food which he hated and wouldn't eat.

He always ate dry food, specificly Iams. I changed his food to Wellness. He seemed to be doing great. He had some dandruff on his rear, above the tail, that completely went away. His coat was soft & shiny. I thought the food change was helping his health, having the cranberries & blueberries. Well you guessed it. He had another mild case, although blood was apparent this time on the cat box liner( small spot) and we took him back for some antibiotics.

The vet has given us Science diet c/d. The ingredients alone are making me feel bad giving this to him. He will not eat the dry or canned. I'm giving him Wellness canned, which he is eating some. I'm also adding extra water to it. Will a product called Solid Gold Berry Balance help him through this combined with the Wellness? Or do I have to feed my Buddy this Science Diet for the rest of his life, like the vet is telling me?

Iv'e been doing some research, and it seems a prolonged diet of of high acid intake contributes to metabolic acidosis, & decreased levels of serum potassium, which in turn leads to calcium oxalate bladder stones, &
chronic renal failure. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Aaron

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Glad you asked! There is so much misinformation out there about this condition.

No, he doesn't have to eat c/d for the rest of his life. As you already know, c/d is not a very high quality food. Your cat is smart to refuse it!. The excessive acidification of c/d can actually cause a whole different kind of stone to form in the kidneys and bladder that requires surgery to remove.

I recommend a wet food only diet for these guys. Dry food is a major contributor to the problem and to recurrence of the problem. You're definitely on the right track with lots of wet food with added water. Keeping the urine dilute is the single most important factor in preventing recurrence. Do stay away from fish flavors, though, a lot of cats seem to get into trouble with them.

Berry Balance is one of many products that can be helpful, although cranberry's protection against E. coli is more effective in dogs because they are more apt to have a bacterial infection. In cats, most of these are "sterile" infections with no bacteria involved. Any good antioxidant would be helpful, see http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... atsanddogs
for more info on supplements.

For more info on urinary tract problems, please see my article at
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts