Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a wonderful new f4 kitten. He’s using the litter box most of the time but once a day he poops on the floor or something soft.

We have tried:

multiple litter boxes.
4 different litters. We couldn’t use clay because he started eating it.
We put him in the the litter box on a regular bases. We catch him meowing before he has to go.
we took him the vet for a full health check
We have different sizes of litter boxes not covered and covered.
he’s confined to our master bathroom and bedroom
We work from home so we are with him all day.
We praise him and give him treats when he uses the litter box.
We clean the litter box immediately after he goes.
We don’t use litter with any smells to them.

Any suggestions? Or is he so young that it will take time for him to learn the ropes. He started by peeing outside the box but now he’s not doing that anymore. He just poops 1 time a day outside the box and uses it the rest of the day. He does have a small cold and is on antibiotics.

We love him and are devoted to finding a solution!

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
A lot of cats prefer to pee in one box and poop in another......so suggest you get another litter box, but do not place it beside the other, have it in a quiet, non-traffic area not too far from the other one. Put one of his poops in it, so he smells his scent in it. All the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We have two boxes setup and when he poops outside the box we put it in the one box in hopes he will get the idea. We noticed he seems to like pooping in the softer litter and peeing in the pine litter.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If this is the case, you may need to have two boxes, one with pine and one with scoop.
It's possible that this will not persist into his adulthood, though, or that you will be able to change this behavior when he is older, after he has started using the litter box all of the time for both things.

To me, it sounds as if you are doing the right things with this kitty. I hope the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the additional info. We started with scoop litter but he was eating it. We changed to paper crumbles because we didn’t want him getting a blockage from eating the scoop litter. I think he would prefer the scoopable litter but we’re just afraid he’ll eat it and get sick. We are hoping to try with the scoopable litter again once he’s four months old.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Yes, it's true cats have preferences to what kind of litter they use. About 3 mos. ago my 5 y.o. male started peeing outside the box and he never did it beforehand. It took me a while to discover it was the litter.....I had changed to non-clumping instead of clumping. When I switched back to the clumping litter, he went back to using the box. I think the clumping is finer in shape than the non-clumping and perhaps it was feeling sharper on his paws which bothered him.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hello B. Congratulations on your new kitten! They do take a while to get the hang of things and litter boxes can be daunting for both of you. We went though several different kinds before finding one that got a thumbs up from my girls.

Good choice not using the clay since he's eating it, but he may not like the paper. You could google safe litter for kittens and try some of those until he's old enough to switch back.

I'm not sure about putting the poop back in the box. Some cats are very picky about going in a soiled box. If he poops in the box on his own, you could give him a treat and praise immediately afterwards. If he starts to poop outside the box, you could try gently picking him up and putting him in, give him some space but keep an eye on him while he's in there, then give him praise right afterwards. If he misses, don't say anything but clean it up thoroughly asap so he doesn't associate the same spot as a place to go. Also, his cold may be causing problems with his sense of smell so you may see improvement when it's over.

I found with mine, they didn't like too little or too much litter, so I keep it to 3 inches of unscented in a good size box with no cover, and that works fine for them. I've never tried it, but some people here have had luck with Dr Elsy's Kitten Attract.

Kittens can take a while to learn the ins of outs of being a cat, but you're really doing a great job with his training and I suspect he'll get the hang of it soon enough!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts