Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have had a horrific time with an aggressive cat. The only difference is that Token is not exactly a sweet cat to begin with. The only time he is sweet is at bedtime, so of course we love for him to cuddle with us at night. He lies there and rubs his head on our heads and purrs like nothing else. He then usually falls asleep between my boyfriend and I and most of the time half on top of one or the other.
About once a month for a few days at a time he will do his little sleep routine, and get all settled. Then as I am falling asleep, He will bite me as hard as he can on the face. I of course freak out, because I have been sleeping, and he takes off. Last night was especially bad. He got me under the eye, and it bled like the dickens. I am at my wits end. He only bites me, not my boyfriend, and he isn't playing.
He is a nibbler, he likes to give little love nips when he is completely content. This, however, IS NOT love nips. I hate to put him outside of the room since this is an infrequent thing. Plus, due to the fact that he is "illegal" in my apartment, I can't let him meow outside the bedroom door. Since this is the only time he lets us cuddle him, I feel as if cutting this part of our routine out of his life will lead him to be even more antisocial.
We got him at a very young age (4 weeks) could this have anything to do with it? We have also got a new kitten (June 7) but they get along great. We do put the kitten in a kennel at night so that we can get some sleep, could he be missing his playmate and want something to do? I am out of answers. I don't want to get rid of him, because no one will want an anti-social kitten (he's 6 months and neutered).
Is this a dominance issue? All I can say is HELP!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is there anything that you do differently on the nights that he bites you as compared to all the other nights? Maybe you're doing something that he feels is threatening and he feels like he has to show you "who's boss"? You say he never bites your boyfriend; does your boyfriend seem to be at the top of the pecking order, in your cat's eyes?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If I don't play with Thomas for a day or two he'll suddenly get very rough with Kitty and me....like he's mad we won't play with him. Is your kitten getting enough play time?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is alone all day with Dune, they play and sleep together all day. Then when we get home, they play through the whole apartment. They have been much more tired than when we kept them both kenneled, and thats why I thought that Token had stopped biting for so long (about a month). I figured he was getting all of his play aggression out during the day so therefore was more open to going to bed when we do. Last night we did nothing different.
I also forgot to mention that on Sunday morning, my boyfriend got out of bed earlier than I and went into the living room to mess with his laptop. He left the bedroom door open, and I was still asleep. I woke up and rolled over to Token sitting on the bed staring at me. He then lunged at me and caught me on the side of the nose. I don't know if I woke him up when I rolled over, or if he had been waiting there to attack. He has never bitten me in the morning, and since my boyfriend was up, he certainly had more things to do! I don't understand!!!
I definitely think that he believes that my boyfriend is higher in the pecking order. He doesn't let my boyfriend near him as easily as he does me and he is more apt to come to me and cuddle during the day than he is my boyfriend. He'll let me catch him and pet him, but it is rare that my boyfriend can hold him without him squirming and meowing to get down. He has seemed more kittenish in the last few days, more bounding around the apartment and making little meowing sounds like he used to. I figured that he was just feeling a little more comfortable (this is the first kittenish behavior he has exhibited since we got Dune). I also thought that maybe he was reverting back to his old ways (pouncing and playing) and that he just doesn't realize that faces and hands are off-limits, and that it hurts like **** when he bites.
Another thing that concerns me is his teeth. They look fine, but I never noticed his baby teeth coming out and his new ones coming in. I have always noticed this with my other cats, even the outdoor ones that I had as a child and rarely played with. His breath is AWFUL, think human morning breath ALL THE TIME. (which of course makes this biting thing even worse, smelly cat spit on my nose :) ). I brush his teeth daily with CET and use an oral mouth paste daily. It helps for a few hours.
Could he be teething? (at 6 months!?! I thought they would get their adult set by this time...)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, he is teething at this age, and during the process, the mouth definitely smells like something died in there!

I'm going to forward your post to Jackson to see if he has any suggestions for you on the biting issue. This is a new one on me!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts