Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have five kids, years 13 to 1. My spouse wanted kittens after she heard mice in the attic. We got two kittens, brothers, I think they were 3 months old, but they stayed in the basement for the most part because we were worried about them getting hurt around the kids if my wife and I were busy doing something around the house. One night, I heard a terrible cry out from the basement but thought they were playing or got into a fight and didn't bother checking on them. I have a treadmill down there and locked it in the upright position so the kittens didnt scratch the rubber tread. Unfortunately one of the kittens climbed on top of it and fell right between whether the treadmill is latched in the upright position and the console and strangled him. His body was caught where he could not hoist himself back up and he scratched to no avail. My wife went to feed the kittens this morning and one of them didnt respond. She looked all around and eventually saw the kitten hanging there from the treadmill, dead and already in rigor mortis.

The remaining 13-week-old kitten doesn't understand yet and just yelps for his brother to play but nobody answers. It’s heartbreaking. I don’t know about getting a new kitten to join him because they wouldn’t be brothers, we wouldn't know the new kitten's family like we knew the home from where these two had come, and I also don’t think we can simply replace the lost one, who was so special. I don't want my kids to think death and mourning can be just wiped away and a replacement will solve everything. But I also don't want the 13-week-old kitten we have to be lonely and stressed out without a playmate, and I also know the kids loved having two kittens so there was always one to play with if the other one was occupied with a different child. We could wait for a few months but by then this kitty will have gone through a lot and will have grown accustomed to being the only cat.

I don't know what's best. My wife found a 2-month-old kitten at the humane society but it would be 2 months younger than our other kitten. There is also a 2-month-old kitten at a co-worker's farm who is ready for adoption.

If we do opt for a new kitty to join this one, what considerations must we make that I may not have thought of? Can you help, cat community?

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think the 2 month old kitten would be the best choice. A little smaller than yours, so not threatening in any way. Kittens adjust so quickly to change, and this new little one would help them both burn off the endless energy that kittens have. I would go with the shelter kitten because it will have been checked out by a vet and hopefully spayed or neutered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think the 2 month old kitten would be the best choice. A little smaller than yours, so not threatening in any way. Kittens adjust so quickly to change, and this new little one would help them both burn off the endless energy that kittens have. I would go with the shelter kitten because it will have been checked out by a vet and hopefully spayed or neutered.
Everybody has been telling us that we can't leave the other kitten in the basement anymore so he has been upstairs all day today. But at night, I'm not sure where it is safest for him and for us. I worry about him chewing on the kids' toys and ingesting something while we all sleep. Or him getting into bed with one of us and we roll over and suffocate him god forbid. In my experience with older cats, they are rarely asleep during the night.

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
Well, that's another good thing about getting a second kitten. You could leave them both in the cat-proofed basement during the night and they would have each other for company.

I think every cat owner has some nightmare version of rolling over in bed and smashing their cat, no matter how old the cat is. But cats are so fast, with great reflexes. My twins were so tiny when I adopted them that I was actually afraid I would break them somehow. I had adopted my first two cats as adults.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts