Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried Robin on Fancy Feast. Funny thing-it comes in these LITTLE cans but seems to be more filling. He seems content until his next mealtime! He positively SCARFS 9 lives,his usual brand.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Fancy feast can be called kitty krack. They can get addicted. He likes it because it has a such a strong flavor. You may wish to find a better option for him.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
201 Posts
Which Fancy Feast product are you using? They have quite a few, and some are less bad than others.

Overall though, it's not something I'd choose to feed my cats assuming price wasn't a factor, and I totally get that sometimes cost is a huge consideration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Which Fancy Feast product are you using? They have quite a few, and some are less bad than others.

Overall though, it's not something I'd choose to feed my cats assuming price wasn't a factor, and I totally get that sometimes cost is a huge consideration.
I've been adding some of the tender beef entree (pate) on top of other better foods to entice my cats to eat some of the other stuff they seem to have tired of (Natural Balance duck and venison currently, that I happen to be well stocked in!). I've also been getting the Target brand of the same (Barkley and Boots Tender Beef Entree), the ingredient list looks about the same. The Target brand one is .49 per can, vs. the .54 or .60 per can of the Fancy Feast. Is this one of the OK ones? They certainly like it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The pates are definitely one of their better offerings but looking at the ingredients the things I'd be concerned about are "by-products", which can mean almost anything. Some of those things are necessary for obligate carnivores, others are simply waste unfit for human consumption, possibly unfit for animal consumption... who knows. It's kind of a mystery. As is "artificial and natural flavors". What the heck is that? In all likelihood, it's some sort of glutamate thing that provides cheap carbs and gluten, but without actually being gluten. Salt is awfully high up on the list, I'd be concerned about that too. At the price of those cans, I'd be willing to bet that the carrageenan is degraded and has been shown to cause higher rates of colon caner in lab rats (which, yes, are pretty much bred to get cancer at the drop of a hat, but still...). Sodium nitrate has absolutely no business being in cat food and is mainly for the benefit of the owner because it makes the food look "fresh". It has been shown to cause stomach cancer and liver damage, deplete vitamin A, and be an allergenic to many cats and dogs. There may be other things that list that are cause for concern, but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

I'm sure your cats love the taste. Like scottd said, it's crack for cats, and they do this because it encourages owners to purchase more. It's nice when they're excited about mealtime and it's gratifying to think they're happy with us for serving them something wonderful. But if price isn't the thing holding you back from investing in their health, I'd recommend looking at high protein, low carb, grain-free foods that probably cost at least twice as much. Even then, I'm still not completely happy with anything out there on the commercial market, but it's certainly much better for them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree about FF being more filling for two reasons:
1) My Tutu does not seem to be as fulfilled on the same amount of health foods;
2) she loses weight when I stop feeding her FF.

To me this means FF has fillers in it that make you full of calories............ maybe carbs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I adopted my cats from the SPCA they were being fed Fancy Feast, so I kept them on that for awhile, but like a lot of other people here I was concerned about nutrition.

I have tried Merrick, Evo, Natural Balance, Wellness, Avoderm, Instinct, etc, etc, etc. and the only canned food that they will reliably eat time after time is certain Fancy Feast flavors. I even tried feeding raw, same deal.

I'll bring home an array of different brands in single cans and sometimes they like it for the variety, but as soon as I buy a case to serve daily, they turn their nose up at it. I've kind of given up at this point. I don't mind buying them more expensive food, but only if I can get them to eat it.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
It's kind of like kids. If they get to eat captain crunch every day they are going to be finicky and ticked off when mom suddenly starts putting broccoli on their plate.

Kitty needs to learn that they have to eat what they're given.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's kind of like kids. If they get to eat captain crunch every day they are going to be finicky and ticked off when mom suddenly starts putting broccoli on their plate.

Kitty needs to learn that they have to eat what they're given.
That's probably true - I'm not very tough on them, but the pickier cat actually loses weight when I take away dry and try to feed a quality food exclusively, and he's a young, lithe cat who doesn't need to lose weight.

I was hoping to find a quality food that rivals FF in taste and desirability, but I get the captain crunch vs broccoli metaphor!

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's probably true - I'm not very tough on them, but the pickier cat actually loses weight when I take away dry and try to feed a quality food exclusively, and he's a young, lithe cat who doesn't need to lose weight.

I was hoping to find a quality food that rivals FF in taste and desirability, but I get the captain crunch vs broccoli metaphor!
Have you tried adding some fancy feast to the other food?

Another thing you could try is sprinkling Bonito flakes on top.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you tried adding some fancy feast to the other food?

Another thing you could try is sprinkling Bonito flakes on top.

I have tried mixing when I was serious about switching them over with limited success, but haven't recently. Haven't tried Bonito flakes, thanks!

They seem to get bored with the same things eventually, so I'm hoping one of these cycles they'll appreciate a better quality food enough to get into the rotation regularly. Right now it's FF chunky chicken and turkey, beef pate, and the elegant medleys that never go to waste.

For a little bit they really enjoyed Turducken and Cowboy Cookout from Merrick's but that fell out of favor, and I can't get them to eat it anymore. So, I suppose there is hope!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have tried mixing when I was serious about switching them over with limited success, but haven't recently. Haven't tried Bonito flakes, thanks!

They seem to get bored with the same things eventually, so I'm hoping one of these cycles they'll appreciate a better quality food enough to get into the rotation regularly. Right now it's FF chunky chicken and turkey, beef pate, and the elegant medleys that never go to waste.

For a little bit they really enjoyed Turducken and Cowboy Cookout from Merrick's but that fell out of favor, and I can't get them to eat it anymore. So, I suppose there is hope!
You can probably find the flakes online or at an asian supermarket or a supermarket with an asian section. It's just dried fish bonito fish flakes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can probably find the flakes online or at an asian supermarket or a supermarket with an asian section. It's just dried fish bonito fish flakes.
Since you reminded me about mixing, I decided to try again because the "Elegant Medleys FF" really lend themselves well to mixing. It's working out much better in enticing the cats to eat some of the better qualities pates.

I'm sneaking some broccoli into their captain crunch with decent results. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I always have some Fancy Feast handy "just in case." It's great to convince cats to try some new food, or to get a sick cat to eat something. It works wonders!

However, I don't feed it regularly. It's not the worst brand, in fact out of the mainstream canned foods I think it's one of the better ones based on their guaranteed analysis (depending on the can), but I can feed raw, so I do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rocky and Lily were apparently being fed FF before we adopted them... We got them home and gave them FF and they stuck their noses up to it and ate dry food only for two days before we found Science Diet Culinary Creation... They eat Merrick now since Lily was having terrible diarrhea and leakage everywhere from Friskies, Science Diet and Whiskas (including on us :eek:).

That went off on a tangent....:crazy

But what I mean is, are Rocky and Lily the only cats who will not eat Fancy Feast xD?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yipes! So many replies! He's OFF Fancy Feast. I'm trying him on The Goodlife Diet brand. Is it available in canned? I suppose I'll have to make the transition to raw sooner or later. Cats DO eat SOME plant nutrients...

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts