Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys fast your cat? I read a book mention that fasting they cat is a good practice. I know fasting to us is good practice. I am also thinking that cat in the wild can't be every day successfully hunt down a prey right?

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Cats SHOULD NOT BE FASTED. Period. Hepatic lipidosis is unlikely to set in quickly unless the cat is overweight, but it's still not a good idea. Feed cats twice a day. If a surgical procedure is scheduled, feed before 10 p.m. the night before, don't feed breakfast, and then feed a light meal in the evening.

Dogs are descended from wolves, who hunt in packs, and hence, eat primarily large prey which they kill maybe every 2-3 days if they're lucky (and often less frequently). They gorge when they make a kill, consuming up to 21% of their body weight in one sitting. So dogs can be fed larger, less frequent meals and feeding extra large meals w/ a 24-36 hour fast afterwards is fine and can be beneficial.

Cats, however, are descended from small desert cats who hunt alone and eat small prey. They kill several times a day, so are not set up for gorging and fasting but for smaller, more frequent meals.

Hope that helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts