Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting dilemma here:
Three year old fat cat (Lea) likes to eat. Put food in front of her and she will eat and eat and eat.

One year old skinny kitty (Turbo) likes to nibble all day. She knows how to control herself. She would prefer to have food laid out in her bowl all day so she can nibble at her own pace.

The problem:
If we leave food out all day, Fat Lea will eat everything in sight, including skinny Turbo's food. Turbo loves to have the food out all the time because she can eat when she wants. But, Lea will eat and eat and fatten up.

If we feed them twice a day on a regular schedule, Lea's eating (and fatness) can be controlled, but Turbo gorges herself because she thinks every bowl of food will be her last one. Then, Turbo throws up about 10 minutes afterwards from over-stuffing her belly.

This begs the question:
What should we do to satisfy both cats? Do we leave food out all the time and just know that Lea will become a basketball of a cat while Turbo no longer pukes? Or, do we continue to feed on a schedule and live with the constant puking from little Turbo?

Thanks so much in advance!
:(

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd like to hear suggestions as well, since I foresee this being a possible problem in the future for my 2 kittens -- and I'd like to start getting them used to a new feeding pattern while they're still young.

The only one I've heard is to feed them separately, twice a day, and get the slow eater to "catch up" and learn to eat twice a day. Unfortunately I have tried this and it does not work at all for my little Tyra, who likes to munch all day since she's got a tiny tummy.

-- brite

·
Registered
282 Posts
This is exactly my problem! And to make it even worse, my skinny mini doesn't like wet food very much. Right now I feed them wet separately and then fill their bowl with dry, once in the AM and once when I get home at night.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Well, now there are four of us! I've been giving Blueberry extra canned food, and I have been free feeding dry food. I think I'll have to switch to all canned, because Precious is getting fat. Blueberry seems to love the canned food one time and not bother with it the next time. He really doesn't eat enough. Nutrical is a help. He acts the same way with treats-loves them today and doesn't care tomorrow! :roll: They both have loads of energy and chase each other and play, so that's not a problem.

Ideally, we would feed our cats separately, but if you're leaving for work, that's a problem. Eight hours is too long for them to wait, and you can't leave canned food out. :(

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
And taa-daaa, here comes Dr. Jean with the answer!

Um. Well, maybe not! :oops: But I do recommend to not leave the food out all day. Just because a cat *likes* to much all day does not mean it's good for them. It isn't.

Try this: at mealtime, feed them both a small spoonful. They'll wolf it down. Cool. Then, 10 minutes later, another spoonful. Ditto. Then, 10 minutes later (20 minutes after the first bite), the rest of the meal. At that point, their tummies will have had a chance to fill up a bit and let the cats know they aren't starving. Hopefully that will slow them down as well as give the tummies a little stretch and warm-up, making them more tolerant of being filled. You can insert a third small portion if needed. This should also bring them more into synch in terms of eating time, making it less likely that "Miss Piggy" will edge out "Jack Sprat" for the rest of his meal! It does make mealtime more fo a production for you, but balanced against throwing out your back cleaning cat puke up off the carpet...maybe not such a big deal! :lol:

It *is* the dry food that makes them fat; it is highly dense, packed calories. So you're all on the right track here! :)
Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
If this puts some weight on Blueberry (and helps Precious regain her girlish figure) I will hunt you down and give you a big hug! Goodbye automatic feeder. Thanks for the advice, Dr. Jean. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drjean said:
And taa-daaa, here comes Dr. Jean with the answer!

Um. Well, maybe not! :oops: But I do recommend to not leave the food out all day. Just because a cat *likes* to much all day does not mean it's good for them. It isn't.

Try this: at mealtime, feed them both a small spoonful. They'll wolf it down. Cool. Then, 10 minutes later, another spoonful. Ditto. Then, 10 minutes later (20 minutes after the first bite), the rest of the meal. At that point, their tummies will have had a chance to fill up a bit and let the cats know they aren't starving. Hopefully that will slow them down as well as give the tummies a little stretch and warm-up, making them more tolerant of being filled. You can insert a third small portion if needed. This should also bring them more into synch in terms of eating time, making it less likely that "Miss Piggy" will edge out "Jack Sprat" for the rest of his meal! It does make mealtime more fo a production for you, but balanced against throwing out your back cleaning cat puke up off the carpet...maybe not such a big deal! :lol:

It *is* the dry food that makes them fat; it is highly dense, packed calories. So you're all on the right track here! :)
Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Thanks for the response. However, is this meant to be the regular feeding ritual from now on or will the cats learn to eat at a regular pace (whatever regular pace for cats are)? If so, this is just not feasible for me or my wife. We are contemplating getting one of those electric auto feeder contraptions just to see how that works out. In the meantime, we've tried one these mini office water cooler auto feeder thingies and we've noticed something strange, but pleasant. We observed the two of them over the weekend and noticed that the little pukester pukes no more while fatty-catty no longer parks her plump rump in front of the dish 24-7 constantly grazing and instead seems to be nibbling little-by-little.

Will keep you posted on how things work out. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts