Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Since Mia was a kitten, she's been eating dry food. I've never had a cat before. When I asked my vet if what I was feeding her was ok, he said yes. He never made mention of wet food. Every morning Mia gets the tiniest amount of milk, and I fill her food dish with 3/4 cup of dry food. She always has plenty of water (as she loves her fresh flow fountain!).

However, when I took Mia to the vet, he said that she is overweight. She is 11 lbs. He never said how overweight she is, or what I should do about it. In fact, he didn't seem concerned at all. She's still a very active and plalyful cat.

I've noticed that she doesn't seem to be gaining more weight, but she's not losing any either. Does anyone out there have any suggestions about how I can help Mia slim down? Also, what is the value of wet food versus dry food?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Laura and Mia

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I tried to answer this in my own words, but Dr. Jean says it so much better on her website. Here's the link: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004.

In my own experience, feeding an all-wet diet has been extremely beneficial to the health of my cat. His blood glucose has stabilized, he's not nearly as dehydrated as he was, and he's lost three pounds. Also his fur is much, much softer and silkier and he doesn't shed as much. His energy is up and he doesn't vomit as often.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It seems like your Mia is a little bit like my Geisha. She's been a little bit overweight since last summer (she had kittens, that may explain some of the "extra layer"). However, she came to a point where she didn't gain any more weight, but she didn't lose the extra weight. She'd been eating dry food her whole life, just like my other cat who wasn't at all overweight.

Anyway, light food didn't help so I started to make my own food and it took her four months and she was back on her ideal weight. I'm not gonna bash at dry food, I know it "does the trick" for many cats and their owners, I did feed my cats dry food for about four years. The only thing I know is that home made food, made of lots of meat (75-80%) and some veggies, did what no dry food did for her weight.

Making your own food also allows you to make food that suits the individual and of course you have full control of the ingredients. I do know that not all people have the time to make their own cat food (I have the time and I think it's fun) so adding wet food or completely change the cats diet to wet food I belive is the best way to make your cat lose weight.

Now, I'm finished with my propaganda speech :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Great info above already, so I'll just add that my vet also said the boys needed to lose 1 lb. each about a year ago. I found that feeding them more wet food, and dry food only once a day as a treat really helped drop their weight, and now maintaining it well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts