Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male Siamese that is not quite 1 year old and he just loves to eat, dry or can food. He doesn't have worms. We don't give him can cat food very offten because he is getting so fat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Canned food would actually help keep him slimmer. Dry cat food is full of carbs and kitties need protein. Do you free-feed him? If yes, try switching to measure meals and see if that helps.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Rayona's right. You want to reduce the amount of dry kibble in your cat's diet and increase the wet portion. Canned food has much less calories than dry, so if your cat eats more canned and the dry is reduced, they will lose weight.

The reason your cat is gaining on the wet food is because it is in *addition* to a full day's portion of dry food. Anyone will get too pudgy if they eat too many calories.

You also wanted to feed in timed meals. Put down the dry food for thirty minutes and then take it away. Do this twice a day and feed wet once-twice a day. Cats are good at regulating their weight when they aren't free-fed because it is closer to their natural eating behaviour (catch a mouse - eat it; when hungry catch another mouse - eat it). There is no free food buffet in the wild animal kingdom :wink: .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still fat

]Thanks for the reply, I forgot to tell you that we also have another Siamese that is about three years old. Ever since we have brought this new Siamese into our home the first one that is female has started getting skinny from the male hoarding all the food, when there bowl is filled he will be the first to eat and then for some time just lay in front of the bowl keeping her from it till he get bored. He does a lot of other strange things that I have never seen a cat do and I have had a Siamese since the day I was born and I am 49 years old. He likes to play in the tub after we have a shower, he likes to fetch like a dog. I would like to insert pictures but I don't know how to do that yet.[/color
8O

·
Registered
611 Posts
I strongly advise you to get a separate bowl for each cat. There will be times when you need to administer certain foods only to one cat, and having one bowl will be a big problem (although I think it already is one, to be honest).

Some cats do fetch things, but many apparently stop doing so once they grow older. My calico used to fetch items when younger, for example. Every once in a while when she comes to sleep in the bed next to me, she will bring a random object with her still.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I never knew that about canned food. I was always told dry food=good, canned food=bad. I don't remember why...perhaps because it wasn't good for their teeth?

Do you think that's why Scully prefers the dry food? She's very underweight and nursing a litter, and almost exclusively eats dry food. Does she understand she needs the calories?

~M

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dry food is kind of the crisps, or maybe fish and chips, of cat nutrition. Convenient, really tasty, but not as much nutrition as say, broccoli. Dry food has all sort of flavors and yumminess sprayed on to make the cats take notice of it, and do they ever! If you set out a bowl of unadorned dry food, I wonder if a cat would even smell it.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Canned food does not cause significantly more tartar than dry. The teeth issues are not enough of a problem to negate feeding wet food. Actually, that's all I give my kitties now, and they look and feel much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts