Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, ive been reading all the wonderful advice on the site and as my cats and i are moving to our own place in a few weeks, i decided that i can then take charge of an effective wieght loss program for both of them, they both wiegh in over 15 lbs and look hugely fat. they have been on science diet light for an incredibly long time, they each get 1/2 cup once a day.
anyway, im planning on switching them to a high quality wet diet such as wellness or other, but i need some advice.
1. how much should i feed them?
2. should i put them on a timed feeding regiment? im a college student so i don't have the most regular of schedules, but for my furbabies, i'll try my best.
3. how is the best way to transition them over to wet food?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'd start off with 1/2 of a 13 oz can per day per cat. You will need to feed timed meals, normally about 2-3 per day. You can't leave wet food out for more than 1/2 hour. As for switching over, you can try introducing the wet food to the cat in increasing quantities over a week-long period. Here are some tips for picky eaters.
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4424&highlight=wet

Just remember not mix the dry food with the wet (except in meatball form) because the bacteria on the surface of dry food multiplies very quickly in a moist environment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now the only excersise they get is the occasional dash to and from the food and litter area to my bedroom, so they do climb up the stairs, but overall, both my kittys lead a pretty sedentary life. i bought some cat toys at the supermarket to try and play with them, but any play suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Here's an article on play therapy. Maybe there are some helpful suggestions.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=012

Getting your kitty to exercise is important too, but I'm sure that many people find it difficult to get their fat cat to even move :lol: . I found as soon as my kitty started to lose weight that she was more active, and so this facilitated the weight loss.

I can say that switching to wet food has been a complete success at my house! Levi has lost 5 lbs, Cleo 5.5 lbs and Lucas 4 lbs. Here's a thread I posted previously, if you like to see my before and after pics.
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5811&highlight=wet

I swear, I'm not just shamelessly pushing my pics on you. Although, if I must say myself, my kitties are pretty cute :lol: .

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Two things have worked very well to get my big boy to exercise and they both pretty cheap!
The first is a toy called Cat Dancer. http://www.catdancer.com/products.htm http://www.catdancer.com/others.htm It's a very simple toy, but he goes nuts for it!
He also love playing with the laser pointer. I can get him to run all over the apartment for several minutes and it doesn't really require me to do anything but shine the laser around! :D
It also helps if your cats play with each other, but that's probably not anything you can control. :wink:
Best of luck and give us updates on how it's going!

·
Registered
209 Posts
One big way to get my hefty boy at 23 lbs. to exercise was get a kitten. As soon as Tom showed up on the scene, and they started getting along, both would chase each other, which upped the exercise level for my older cat considerably!

I also switched to an all-wet diet for my felines, and I think it's made a world of difference.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. ive been contemplating your advice and im getting ready to make the switch. however, do you feel that your cat's solid waste has become more smelly, runny, etc because of a wet diet? im going to be doing litter boxes all on my own now, no more folks to do it for me :oops: and i just want to know what im in for (im still game to switch for my kitty's health)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
If you switch slowly over to the canned diet (ie: take 1-2 weeks), you should have no troubles at all. Since I've switched to canned, there is *way* less poop in the litter box. The poop may be a bit more soft, but it isn't mushy. Sorry if this is gross, but it is now like normal stool compared to constipation. The only problem is that they pee more. It just means you need to scoop once every 2 days. The smell is much better on canned food too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. my grandma and my dad had sort of scared me about switching them over. i hate the smell of canned cat food, but at least it doesn't make me gag anymore. :oops: oh well, they can't like the smell of some of the things i cook either.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In my cats' cases, the poop is much less in volume, is much more firm and less smelly. All big pluses for me! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've noticed no difference whatsoever in my cat's poop as a result of the all-wet diet. The positive thing I have noticed is their wonderful fur and coat. It's beautiful, and it's shiny, silky and the softest I've ever known.

I feed my cats 2-3 feedings per day, and I usually give them each 1/2 of a 6 oz. can at each feeding. They seem satisfied and it holds them over until their next feeding.

One benefit of feeding Felidae is that it's formulated for both cats and kittens, so I don't have to worry about them eating each other's food!

Lisa :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Oh, and I second the Cat Dancer! I got one last night for my cats, and they went...and are still going...NUTS over it! You wouldn't think they would like it so much, but they can't get enough! I heard them at 4am playing with it!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Everyone here has done a good job answering your questions.

I just wanted to say, that I can't tell you how many times I have spoken with people who have their cats on SD Lite and the diet DOES NOT work. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well today i got samples of wellness and innova lite. i also got a can of innova lite wet food. my main concern with the light food is that it has more fiber and less protein than the full fat version. does anyone have any experience with these? are the lite versions of a healthy food ok, or should i just go with the full fat versions?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'd just go for the regular food. Feeding lite foods just usually means that your cat is more hungry (it isn't as satisfying). If you switch completely to a wet diet, you shouldn't have trouble with your cat's weight loss, because wet food is much lower in calories to start with.

Angelzoo: That gerbil actually is living with a friend of mine now. Her name is Isis. If you would like to see more cute gerbil pics, check out my gerbil website http://www.gerbilbreeding.com. There's pictures on every page but the majority of the cute pics can be found on the 'development' page.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
"Lite" foods definitely don't work. I have seen cats become very ill from Science Diet light in particular. Not all of them made it.

The carbs in dry food are *the* cause of obesity, and light food typically contains more carbs than regular dry food. Queen said it best, the all-canned diet is the safest and most effective for weight loss--it's the "Catkins" diet, of course!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts