Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other night that Albert has two rolls of fat (I think) in front of his back legs on his belly. We also noticed two nipples at the end of each roll...but none anywhere else on him. It almost looked like he was nursing...we're all a little confused.

Could it just be fat or is he switching genders on us? Albert is a neutered male.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A paunch in that area is normal. Can't say I've seen it in two distinct lumps, though. Cats (all animals) can get lipomas (fatty tumors). These are harmless fatty growths that are non-cancerous. They are usually left alone unless they begin to cause indirectly related problems.

But males DO have a mammary chain, just as females do. And they can get mammary cancer like females. Generally, mammary tumors feel harder than lipomas.

Males can (rarely) get mastitis or infections of the nipples themselves. One of my males' nipples became impacted and the area developed a pea-sized growth underneath. The vet drained the infection and put him on an antibiotic and he was fine.

There are hormonal imbalances that can cause the growth of mammary tissue, but it's rare, especially in neutered cats. Estrogen-containing drugs (like Ovaban/Ovarid), which are sometimes used to prevent spraying, or to relieve auto immune problems in males, make it more likely.

I'm sure there are a billion other possibilities. You should have a vet take a look to rule out any possible health problems.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
fat rolls

Cats have a natural "abdominal fat pad" that is conserved even in the face of starvation. It's their last defense. In cats who have plenty of body reserves, these tend to droop some. It's particularly evident in females, but males get those rolls too. Even thin cats usually have a bit of fat in the area.

Males, like females, have 8 nipples, 4 on each side. As long as they are not protruding (compare them to the others) it's normal to have them there.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Re: fat rolls

drjean said:
In cats who have plenty of body reserves, these tend to droop some. It's particularly evident in females, but males get those rolls too.
I noticed Sugar has a huge dangly pooch and it swishes around when she runs hehe.... all normal I suppose. :p

Btw, cute pictures in the sig...

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's completly normal when a cat is spayed or nueterded. A friend of ours calls it "Puddin' Pouch". :lol: Don't worry if it gets bigger, that is still normal.

·
Registered
676 Posts
LOL!

This is the little "pouch" you might have often seen me refer to as a "kitten pouch". Dr. Jean is right on what it is, I have always called it that to make fun of my male cats, haha!

I have also been told that Neutered males will tend to have more of a sack then others, but not sure on how acurate that peice of information is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts