Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a reading fanatic! I can't sit down to a meal, ride in a car, go ANYWHERE that waiting will be involved, or basically sit down without a book in my hand plus one (or two) as backup (just in case I finish).

My mom used to joke that my biggest fear would be getting caught without something to read.

SO, I thought it would be fun to discuss everyone's favorite books - I am running out of good reading material!! :)

I have so many favorites that it is very hard to pick just one!

The Thorn Birds, When the Lion Feeds, East of Eden, are all pretty far up there

I am reading A Million Little Pieces right now, and it is VERY good...

Any others???

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
There are no words for how much I love American Gods by Neil Gaiman. What a writer.

Also good was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (or some such similar thing). Excellent book... just don't think too hard about it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakarmi is the first 'real' book I read and it still remains my favorite. In fact all of Murakarmi's work is unbelievable.

The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

The Princess Bride by William Goldman is a faux fairytale and is wonderful.

:D My favorites

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ruffian: Burning From The Start (I'm re-reading it right now for the zillionth time)
Cujo (no book has scared me like this one *shivers*)
any book by John Francome
any mystery/thriller novel

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sharon Kay Penman's historical fiction, especially The Sunne in Splendor and her Welsh trilogy that begins with Here Be Dragons. On an interesting side note, the only copy of the Sunne in Splendor was stolen from her car and she had to rewrite it from scratch.

George R.R. Martin's Fire and Ice series. Very interesting story telling technique in this series. Each chapter is told from the point of view of a different character and so you often end up liking characters at the end of a book that you hated at the beginning. Martin is also not afraid to kill off anyone, which can be a bit shocking at times.

The Source by Michener. Describes the history of the jewish people by following the levels of an archaeological dig. He gives a story from an individual at each level and it's surprisingly addictive. I really enjoyed this book.

Memoirs of a Geisha was quite good as well. Much better then the movie.

Older Tom Clancy is fantastic.

Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jean Auel is another favorite.

I could go on and on as I'm an avid reader too but I'll stop here.

Kel

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yay! A thread about books!

I loved "A Time-Traveler's Wife" as well.

My absolute favorites (a hard list to pare down and in no particular order):

In the Time of Butterflies--Julie Alvarez
The Red Tent--Anita Diamant
Ahab's Wife--can't remember the author but the most impressive American book in a long time

Stones From the River--Ursula Heigi
Middlemarch--George Eliot
Domby and Son--Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre--Charlotte Bronte

Alvarez and Eliot are my all-time favorites so anything by these two women make me very happy.

G

·
0 Posts
Anything by John Grisham
Anything by Patricia Cornwall
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...just finished it and it was very good...had me crying in a few spots.
Some Michael Chricton (author of Jurassic Park)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

G

·
0 Posts
Parker: That sounds just like me. I started reading novels way(1956) back in high school and I've never let up in fact, I'm headed to the county library this afternoon to pick out 5 or 6 to bring home as I return 5 or 6.

The Secret Trial of Robert E. Lee will surprise both Southeners and yankees :D

Each and Evey Novel by Lee Child--if you're into masculine, McGyver-type stories.

Andrew Vachss's series where his main character defends and wreaks justice on those that would harm the harmless.

The Wonderful, Quirky thrillers by Hiaasen that take place in my beloved South Florida.

One of the South's Finest

And, in case y'all think I'm a male chauvinist :wink: , here's One of my absolute favorites(take a peek!)

I could go on and on but I'll finish with one serious novel, State of Fear.

Dan

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I am quite a reader also. I went to the library and they had a list of novels from Oprah's Book Club. I've read just about every one and must tell you that all of them were very good to excellent reading material. A few of the authors I loved so much I went back and checked out the other novels they wrote.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'm also a big book fanatic.

I like:
Flowers In The Attic
Petals On The Wind
Harry Potter
Chicken Soup Series

The Flowers In The Attic and Petals On The Wind I borrowed from my grandma and we're going there tonight (spending tonight and tomorrow night) so I'll take up reading the third novel. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quick List of favs:

Anything by Mercedes Lackey
Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice
Harry Potter Series
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
LOTR
and the Alphabet Who done it? Series by Sue Grafton

·
Registered
179 Posts
I resisted THE DAVINCI CODE for the longest time. Finally my brother insisted that I read it and I could not put it down. It's a great read. It will be interesting to see if the movie can live up to the hype.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I adore the Harry Potter series and I really enjoy historical novels like Widow of the South and The Autobiography of Henry VIII

I really like James Patterson but I can usually read them in one day, so I hate starting them because they are over too fast!! :) Also, add another tally for The Da Vinci Code here, Angels and Demons is great too!

I also like Jennifer Weiner - her books are so witty and "true".

lightninrod - I usually take out 10 or so and then I forget I have them because I read them so quickly. Then I get in trouble with the "library police", and thus I have banned myself from the library for the time being :oops: :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Aussie_Dog said:
Ruffian: Burning From The Start (I'm re-reading it right now for the zillionth time)
Good Choice. 8)

The Picture of Dorian Grey or anything by Oscar Wilde..I highly recommend the Canterville Ghost, it's a short story and very amusing.
You can read it here:
http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stori ... nGho.shtml

Shark Trouble
You Belong in a Zoo!

The Cricket in Times Square

Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights

·
Registered
179 Posts
I loved THE CRICKET IN TIMES SQUARE when I was younger! What a great book :)

And Dorian Gray has to be one of the most indelible characters of all time. He's been referenced several times in the last few years which I like. Oscar Wilde was so much fun--both as an author and as a writer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
mdmenagerie said:
I loved THE CRICKET IN TIMES SQUARE when I was younger! What a great book :)
Did you ever read any of the other books invloving Chester, Harry, and Tucker? Tucker's Countryside is actually my favorite.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts