Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I'm a person who loves a good countdown TV special. I was channel surfing today and stumbled upon VH1's Top 100 Toys of all time. Wow ~ what fun it was to reminesce about childhood memories with my husband about the toys of our days. I have to admit, though, that I was kind of shocked at the #1 choice and I would love to know just who cast the votes to come up with this one - THE HULA HOOP! Huh?!?!? I guess I can think of dozens of other toys that were/are way cooler than the hula hoop but maybe that's just me. I guess if they were striving for nostalgia by picking that one then they succeeded. My mom grew up in the 50s and said all the girls had one. I guess my mom was a pro at hula hooping.

Personally, I think my favorite toy of all time would either have to be Legos or the Lite-Brite. Once I slipped into adolescence there was the Nintendo. I was addicted to Super Mario Bros. 3!

There was one toy that I saw on the list that I asked for for a few Christmases in a row and never did get one - an Easy Bake Oven. I know, it's just a light bulb in a box but, hey, they looked cool nonetheless. Still, to this day, I tease my mom about not getting that oven and it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up with one as a gag gift someday! I'm definitely getting my little girl one when she's older.

So I'm curious, what were some of your favorite toys from childhood?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I still have my care bear :oops: I still sleep with it and everything!

I used to love playing with my brother's old metal toy cars and when I was REALLY young I had wooden bricks I liked to play with. Lego is ace, I played with that a lot even with my niece and nephew when they were younger.

I also remember having a lil kids train set. Nothing special, but I loved it! I was such a tom boy as a child :lol:

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I was watching that, too!

Too many to name...they got a lot of them on that countdown. I always get happy feelings when I see the My Little Ponies. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Definitly too many to name. That count down was pretty cool though!! I can't beleive crayons weren't in the top ten though. Everyone loves crayons!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MikePageKY said:
Before Leggos (yes, I'm old), there were Tinker Toys. And of course, my battery powered robot from "Lost in Space".
Oh yeah...how could I forget! I jokingly refer to Tinker Toys as a poor kid's Lincoln Logs (of which I didn't have any). I used to love Tinker Toys!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'd have to say Care Bears...I loved them. My mom has pics of me and all my friends watching the Care Bear movie when I turned either 5 or 6. I had several but there were some that I always wanted but didn't have....I love the Care Bear cousins also. They're making a come back now also!
I also liked my Lite Bright, Lincoln logs, magna doodle....all these toys have stood the test time and you can still buy them. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Easybake Oven. It used the heat from light bulbs to cook and bake. Very wonderful.

Spirograph. A boxful of geared rings and wheels that created gorgeous patterns from colored pencils or ballpoint pens.

Chatty Cathy. The original talking doll. (Yes, I'm old.)

Barbie. Mine had this really cool early-1960's poneytail. (Ditto on the comment about being old.)

Knit-o-Matic. A knitting machine that actually worked well and made stuff.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Yes, I loved Care Bears, too -- we had almost all of the stuffed animals of the Care Bears and Care Bear Cousins. :) My mom still has them boxed away.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PrimoBabe said:
Spirograph. A boxful of geared rings and wheels that created gorgeous patterns from colored pencils or ballpoint pens.
Great toy! I got hours of enjoyment out of that thing. Looking at it, I guess I was into design-type toys, never dolls. Too much of a tomboy.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
This is hard! My first baby doll with real hair was from Santa. I was thrilled, and named her Violet. Since I liked to play make believe, she was probably my favorite. However, I really loved books and paper dolls. My best friend had a carriage with a matching satin pillow and coverlet, so I thought she must be rich. You can be sure my daughter had a bassinet with sating pillow and cover!

I used to lie awake and think about getting a car that I could peddle to school. I pictured myself picking up other kids who had to walk! I never got one. :( Of course, there wouldn't have been room for another child anyway! And you know my mother would never have allowed me to "drive" to school! I never thought about stopping while going down the big hill or having to drag the toy car back up!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Loved my Spirograph, Easy Bake Oven, and Lite Brite. Also was really into the Cabbage Patch Dolls.....I was addicted!!! :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Creepy Crawlers.....yeah!!!!!!! :D I loved making those. It is a hard decision though...I loved playing with clay, anything artsy, and I loved to eat the Easy Bake Oven mixes before I even "baked" them. Back to the Creepy Crawlers; I loved them as a kid and then we got one when my boys were little (they're not so little anymore) and I enjoyed them just as much the second time around. I especially loved the multicolored effect ones we made. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rainbow Brite - I actually asked for this on my first birthday only I said "Bainbow bite"

I played a lot with these little animals - I cannot remember what they were called - but they had rabbits, squirrels raccoons, and beavers with a velvety fur and were about 3 inches tall. They had moms, dads and babies and they all wore clothes. They had a couple of fullly furnished houses that was part of the set. They were adorable, but I have NOOO idea what they were!

I also loved my barbies!

My absolute favorite thing in the whole wide world was my Chatterduck Golden Book.

·
Registered
449 Posts
shlanon said:
They're making a come back now also!

I'm such a purist when it comes to Care Bears, I got SO pissed off when I found out that they're adding to the line, I don't understand why they feel the need to add to a good thing, they've doubled the line, including two pandas 'Perfect and Polite', 'america cares bear' which is red white an blue.

what I DO like though is that they now have a plush True Heart Bear, who, along with Noble Heart Horse took care of the orphaned cubs and baby cousins in care-a-lot, saving them from Dark Heart... I know I'm a dork

I'm SOO glad that the ponies are getting back to their chubby roots, the early 90's ponies were way too anorexic for my taste

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't know why they would need to add so many more...if you count all the original care bears and care bear cousins....there are a lot! There's no way I would have ever gotten all of them!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Parker said:
I played a lot with these little animals - I cannot remember what they were called - but they had rabbits, squirrels raccoons, and beavers with a velvety fur and were about 3 inches tall. They had moms, dads and babies and they all wore clothes. They had a couple of fullly furnished houses that was part of the set. They were adorable, but I have NOOO idea what they were!
Calico Critters of Cloverleaf Corners!!! http://www.intplay.com/calicocritters/critter.htm

I had the whole set, they still sell them in 'low tech' toy stores

1 - 20 of 31 Posts