Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really liked the feral photos posted by Whaler and Lyle and thought I would add this shot taken this week of four members of my barn colony.
From left: Otto, Rose, Taba and TJ.
TJ is one of the founding members; he came from our local rescue group in March 2010. He was so frightened of me at first that he ran whenever he saw me, even if he was 50 feet away. Now he is a judicious alpha and though he doesn't care to be touched, he will sit right next to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Who you lookin' at?

·
Registered
273 Posts
they are simply beautiful Greenport ferals! they look incredibly healthy.

i am glad that i am not the only person that has feral cats that are, as one person described my crew, "well fed" - aka a little chunky :)

lyle, your description is perfect. "ladies and gentlemen, The Greenport Ferals!"

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are simply beautiful Greenport ferals! they look incredibly healthy.

i am glad that i am not the only person that has feral cats that are, as one person described my crew, "well fed" - aka a little chunky :)

lyle, your description is perfect. "ladies and gentlemen, The Greenport Ferals!"

You guys crack me up. Made me look at them in a different way yesterday morning when I drove to the barn.

Yep, some of them are a little hefty. They get canned food every day, but I tend to heap up the dry food bowl because there are a few who come and go and I always want whoever shows up to have something to eat. Since they are outside cats, a few extra pounds are good in the winter.

In the real world, I 've noticed that some truly wild feral cats are huge - you wonder where they get all those calories.

Anyone have any more feral cat or colony cat photos to share?

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
The black cat is my foster cat Ace ~ part Maine Coon. Ive had Ace for over 3 years now, waiting for his forever home. Ace is snuggling with our faux feral cat named Toby.

For two years Toby circled the neighborhood. I feed him but he wouldnt let me near him. When I started a TNR group with some friends, he was one of my first TNRs I did. My cat laid next to his kennel while he recovered. I kept him 3 days in the kennel to make sure he was OK! I know, that is over the top, but thats the way I roll!

Toby took off and disappeared for two days after his release and then showed up again laying on the outside of my sisters screened in porch while my cat laid next to him on the inside! Then he came in for short visits. Visits grew longer. Then he let us touch him. Then he let us pick him up briefly. Then he let us carry him around. This was a 4 yr process. Now he is inside 95% of the time and outside 5%.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You guys crack me up. Made me look at them in a different way yesterday morning when I drove to the barn.

Yep, some of them are a little hefty. They get canned food every day, but I tend to heap up the dry food bowl because there are a few who come and go and I always want whoever shows up to have something to eat. Since they are outside cats, a few extra pounds are good in the winter.

In the real world, I 've noticed that some truly wild feral cats are huge - you wonder where they get all those calories.

Anyone have any more feral cat or colony cat photos to share?

the vet that took care of the last one that i caught back in november called me up that night to let me know how it went and said "he's really healthy". i told her that daddy makes sure that none of them have an empty tummy.

ok, a couple more of my favorite pics;

bootsie from back when he was a chubby little boy

perhaps my favorite pic. mommie giving bootsie the evil eye after he started scamming her food

bootsie being a pain. he was posing so perfectly, at least until i tried to take a picture.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love Bootsie's face. I have a cat with the same markings - Boxer - and it was love at first sight.
Nice feeding station, Whaler.

·
Registered
273 Posts

i have been working a great deal with him and now he actually wants me to pick him up and hold him. although, some of that may just be that he likes the warmth of my body heat.

i built the feeding stations this past spring to replace the lean-to style tarp tent that i was using before. i made them out of 3/4" plywood so they really should last the rest of my life. plus, since they are so heavy i don't worry about someone stealing them.

do you have any pics of Boxer?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I really liked the feral photos posted by Whaler and Lyle and thought I would add this shot taken this week of four members of my barn colony.
From left: Otto, Rose, Taba and TJ.
TJ is one of the founding members; he came from our local rescue group in March 2010. He was so frightened of me at first that he ran whenever he saw me, even if he was 50 feet away. Now he is a judicious alpha and though he doesn't care to be touched, he will sit right next to me.
Otto looks like a lion! hehe.
They're all very cute.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The black cat is my foster cat Ace ~ part Maine Coon. Ive had Ace for over 3 years now, waiting for his forever home. Ace is snuggling with our faux feral cat named Toby.

For two years Toby circled the neighborhood. I feed him but he wouldnt let me near him. When I started a TNR group with some friends, he was one of my first TNRs I did. My cat laid next to his kennel while he recovered. I kept him 3 days in the kennel to make sure he was OK! I know, that is over the top, but thats the way I roll!

Toby took off and disappeared for two days after his release and then showed up again laying on the outside of my sisters screened in porch while my cat laid next to him on the inside! Then he came in for short visits. Visits grew longer. Then he let us touch him. Then he let us pick him up briefly. Then he let us carry him around. This was a 4 yr process. Now he is inside 95% of the time and outside 5%.

But Mitts - Ace already has a great home, and a best friend. Great photo - two happy kitties.

·
Registered
273 Posts
good point Greenport ferals :wink:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Beautiful Boxer isn't a feral, though, so here's another shot of Otto, taken by my friend Alex Morris. Out in back of the barn I built a sun reflector. It heats up even on a frigid sunny winter day.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
But Mitts - Ace already has a great home, and a best friend. Great photo - two happy kitties.
Laughing! If I had that theory, Id have over a hundred cats now! :-|Ive only had one cat which hated my fosters. The rest of the guys who came thru my home on the foster program blended in smoothly. Even my blind kitties did well with my foster pack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts