Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's on Science Diet Hairball light for her weight. Do the hairball foods make it look worse but make it safer? They're long and rather tightly wrapped.

I havn't even found the last one. At 3:30 last night there was ralphing and the distinct sound of something hitting the floor. I couldn't find anything inside but I did find a good 4 incher out by the pool. I'm not sure how long that one's been there. it's been cold and I've been remiss on putting new towels out there for 3 days.

There will be no lion cut!! Maybe a professional trim and brush. She won't sit still for me to brush her.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Because of the lengthening daylight hours, it's the signal for animals to drop winter coat, and even my Devons are dropping some coat and I found a hairball the other day, which I don't usually. With longhairs I found a steel comb, with wider teeth on one side and narrower ones on the other are very good at combing out a cat. Often a cat will tolerate combing where it won't a brush. Just do a little at a time, and then reward with a treat, and hopefully she'll look forward to being groomed.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Have you tried feeding her a canned food (preferably grain-free), Dave_ph? Science Diet's ingredients are none too good to begin with, and their kibble version is notoriously poor (Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose {comparable to sawdust!}, etc.). It has contributed to hairball problems in other cats and may very well be doing so with yours.

Just throwing it out there...

Good luck; I know that can't be comfortable for either you or your kitty!! :patback

AC

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She won't eat canned. I lost that battle. Her former kitty parents lost that battle too.

I need a metal comb. I'm finding fur about the house and she has a lot that looks like it's ready to come out. Yep, our weather warmed up.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hairball foods don't make hairballs look worse, yet be safer. The hairball formula food is "supposed" to prevent hairballs, essentially by making it such that the hairballs dissolve in the system and are passed into the litter box via the cat's stool. However, very few (if any) hairball formula food actually works, as you're experiencing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
She won't sit still for me to brush her.
I noticed Missy rubbing her jaw along edges of things right after she'd been fed, so I bought a small cat brush and started to brush her jaw after she'd eaten. She liked that so I progressed to brushing her cheeks, and then to her head and around her ears. After that I started to gently brush the bridge of her nose with the tip of the brush, being careful not to touch her eyes. From there I went to her shoulders and her chin beneath her jaws. Finally I went to her back where upon she became concerned and a little agitated. I stopped there, but went back the next time I brushed, which is frequently. At last she accepted it.

The final frontier, so to speak, was her tail. I use the edge of the brush so that the bristles can go beneath the surface. I sometimes use an ordinary plastic comb to follow up, paying particular attention to where the tail joins the body. She seems particularly appreciative of this last; I think this is maybe because stuff lodges there.

The message here is that maybe patience will pay off, as is often the case with cats.

I'm glad you sort of described hairballs, as I'd been wondering why Missy was being sick about once every three weeks to a month. I'd rejected the notion of hairballs because there weren't any balls. :?

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Switching her to a high quality/low carb kibble will improve her skin and coat condition, causing less shedding. Orijen, EVO, CORE and the like...

A second, but not as good, option would be to add salmon oil to her food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts