Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat, Watson, is out of control going to the vet. He poos in the carrier, howls, screams, hisses, bites, scratches, and is totally terrified and terrifying. It takes a team of three to give his vaccinations and we are unable to have him examined. We have tried giving him Acepromazine 10 mg before visits...NO impact. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
scared cat

Hi, two suggestions:
1) Try to find a housecall vet so the cat doesn't have to travel!
2) flower essences; Rescue Remedy is a good one, start giving it a day or two before the big event. (for more information on essences see www.spiritessence.com ).

I don't much like Acepromazine for this purpose; it takes an hour or two to reach full effect (usually you've been and gone by then) and it makes the cat more unpredictable. I think it's because not only do they have all this *stuff* happening to them, but they feel funny on top of it. I think I'd be annoyed, too!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
I also agree with trying to find a mobile vet, but those can be hard to get these days.

Have you spoken with your vet, to see if they would give your cat a mild tranquilizer, or one you can give him at home, that way they can have all the time they need to check him over really well and give him anything he needs with out the hassel of injury to the cat or to another person.

Unfortuatly your case is very common. So don't feel alone, I know it can be a pain, but vets are used to it (but that doesn't mean it makes it any easier) lol.

You could also ask your vet about using benydril, and try the rescue remedy as drjean mentioned.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Another little thing to try (everyone else mentioned the big ones) is to try leaving his cat carrier out in the open where he can see it all the time, or go into it if he wants. The carrier does add to his anxiety -- because right now he's thinking "carrier=vet trip." So if he just gets used to having the carrier around, it might minimize the effects a LITTLE. Any help is worth it, I would think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts