Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My sons cat had 9 kittens and we kept 3 of them. They are 10 weeks old. Right now I have been giving all 4 of them a can of food in the morning and dry food the rest of the day. I have been mixing the dry food with half kitty dry food and half Little Friskies dry food.

My question is should I keep dry food out all day for them or just put it out for a short time a couple times a day? Also, is it okay that I am mixing the Friskies and Kitten dry food together or should I just stick to the Kitten dry food?

I think I may be over feeding but the kittens eat alot.

Any suggestions would be great.

Attachments

·
Banned
115 Posts
Friskies is garbage. Its really better to feed a grain free canned only or raw diet. Dry feeding can lead to a lot of health problems long term and short term it can be very addicting. There are many websites on this forum, that state why dry feeding is bad.

My honest advise is first spay mom and the kits (unless they are a purebred animals of champion lines they should have never bred or been bred), then to feed canned only to start. Instincts, wannova and Natures logic are good choices however they cannot be found in most grocery stores you need to go online or try pet food outreach stores like chuck n dons.

Kittens can get all they want you don't need to worry about overfeeding them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The mother cat was a stray my son brought in. We were going to take her to get spayed when we saw she was getting fatter and fatter. She was pregnant. We would not abort the kittens so we ended up with 9 kittens. Three died at around 4 weeks old, we do not know why. Three we were able to find good homes for. And three we kept. My son took the mother to be spayed a couple weeks ago. I was worried the kittens would not be able to nurse any more but they continued to nurse. Now we are having a problem with weaning them. The vet said to seperate them for 2 weeks but that is proving to be really hard.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My sons cat had 9 kittens and we kept 3 of them. They are 10 weeks old. Right now I have been giving all 4 of them a can of food in the morning and dry food the rest of the day. I have been mixing the dry food with half kitty dry food and half Little Friskies dry food.

My question is should I keep dry food out all day for them or just put it out for a short time a couple times a day? Also, is it okay that I am mixing the Friskies and Kitten dry food together or should I just stick to the Kitten dry food?

I think I may be over feeding but the kittens eat alot.

Any suggestions would be great.
i feed my cat all he wanted up till 10 months, he was 13 lbs then, and had to cut back some, or i would have a fat cat.....kittens should have food in the bowl all the time up till about a year. they are growing

·
Registered
280 Posts
The mother should wean them when she's ready. They learn from her what's appropriate and what's not appropriate. As for the food, it's okay to leave the food out since the mother is still nursing and the kittens need lots of food anyway. I do have to agree on the food type though. It is much better for them to eat a grain-free diet. Wet food is better than dry food, but I admittedly also keep out dry food so that my kittens can eat when they are hungry instead of on a schedule. They're fed wet food three times a day though. The main thing, though, is giving them a good diet. Cats can't digest plants, so grain-free is the best way to go. They'll eat less of it too since they are getting more of what they need, so you'll overall spend less money on food and less money on vet bills later on (at least for any diet-related issues, like UTIs and such).

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I second the recommendations to keep them on wet. It's all-around better for cats. And don't worry about overfeeding the kittens. Kittens eat a lot compared to adult cats, so it's best just to feed them as much as they're willing to eat.

It's not until their growth stops/slows down nearing adulthood that you have to worry about overfeeding.

I am not sure if this applies to nursing mothers too, as I've never had one, but I'm guessing she probably needs lots of extra fat and protein right now as well.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
. My son took the mother to be spayed a couple weeks ago. I was worried the kittens would not be able to nurse any more but they continued to nurse. Now we are having a problem with weaning them. The vet said to seperate them for 2 weeks but that is proving to be really hard.
I fostered a mother cat with her kittens two days after she was spayed. The kittens still nursed from their mother but her milk gradually dried up and she gradually allowed them shorter periods of time nursing from her until they were weaned completely.

I would let it happen naturally. The mother cat knows what to do and the kittens will naturally gravitate toward eating on their own. It is less traumatic for all of them this way.
:catmilk

·
Registered
88 Posts
My kittens nursed until after they were spayed and neutered at 5.5 months. Then my father adopted their mom and the kittens stayed with me so her milk finally dried up because they were separated, who knows for how long it would have gone on. They all seemed to enjoy it though, so I am not sure if either the mom or the kittens were harmed by this prolonged nursing. The kittens are the best adjusted, sweetest and best behaved little angels :D

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
First off let me commend you on rescuing the mom and kittens. I would separate the mom from the kittens. It has to be painful for her. Keep an eye on the incisions too. Just encase you end up with or foster a mom and kittens again: you should separate the mother from the kittens to dry up the milk before the surgery. Then you wont have the issue of kittens continuing to nurse for nourishment. Its more expensive and a more difficult spay on a lactating mom. They chance nicking a mammory gland. That can result in problems. Another reason why to dry her up first. Did all the kittens adopted out get spayed and neutered?

·
Registered
16 Posts
We were going to wait until she finished nursing to get her spayed but she got out for 18 hours and thought she may be pregnant again. My son panicked and took her to the vet. The vet had told me that they would not spay a nursing mother cat but my son came home without the cat and said they were testing her to see if she was pregnant again and if not they would spay her. Well she wasn't pregnant and when my son picked her up from the vet she was spayed. The vet did a great job. There incision was clean an very little to no scar.

·
Banned
154 Posts
From what I can see of the pic of mom and babies - she looks so much like my Bella (newly adopted by me with her baby, Bootsy). Do you have other pics of her/them?

I've been feeding Wellness (dry and canned) and have been mixing the kitten and cat dry (when I bought the food, I didn't know they made an all life stages food, which I will get as soon as I finish these 5 lb bags). As for canned, Bootsy didn't like the canned kitten Wellness (who can blame her - only ONE flavor) as much as she liked the adult Wellness, so I'm feeding her adult canned. I read an article that said that if I'm feeding a healthy food, that she will get all the nutrients she needs and I don't need to do the kitten canned.

Up until last wee Boo was occasionally nursing (I saw her 2 times in 1 week and a half - not sure if she was doing it other times when I wasn't home) and Bella was allowing her ... I haven't seen her trying again, so maybe she is done - she's been drinking more water so I think she is done (not even sure if one has anything to do with the other, but she wasn't really drinking water before the past couple of days).

Good luck with the babies - they are adorable!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Amending my earlier post

I would separate the mom from the kittens. It has to be painful for her. Keep an eye on the incisions too.
I fostered a mother cat with her kittens two days after she was spayed. The kittens still nursed from their mother but her milk gradually dried up and she gradually allowed them shorter periods of time nursing from her until they were weaned completely.
I should have included in my post that the mother cat had her own space where she could have time out from the kittens. The vet advised not separating them completely since they had all been through so much in such a short time: being abandoned, being trapped, transported to the vet's office, mama and babies all being spayed, then relocated as foster cats into my home.

The mom (Ella, who I ended up adopting myself!) was able to choose the amount of time she wanted to be with her kittens while she was healing from her surgery. Also, the kittens had no problem eating on their own since they were only able to nurse from Mama for short periods of time.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Here are a few more Pics.

We had 6 kittens and kept 3 -- Rusty (The Orange one), Cal (The Calico one), and Blaq (The Black one). We had two white ones and a grey one. They went to good homes.
They really are adorable - and look very healthy. Would love to see a better pic of the mom. As I said, she looks similar to my mama cat, Bella, who I think is a very unusual looking cat with her colors and markings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts