Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my cats (5 and 1 years old) are on a Raw-only diet but up to now I have only been feeding them packaged meat (chicken necks, liver, hearts and other types of meat). Frozen mice are available only through one local on-line store and cost a fortune. Live mice are much more readily available in pet stores and I got to thinking that perhaps it is something that might be interesting for the kitties. Now, mind you I'm not sure that once I actually got the mouse and it looked at me with its cute little eyes I could give it to my little monsters :)

Do people actually do this or is it incredibly cruel even to consider it? I'm in an ethical and moral dilemma here... :?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't feed raw. But I have to say, I couldn't feed live mice. I think it's ethically questionable, you might be doing the best for your cat- but that mouse has the right to life and a dignifed death just as much.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I used to feed live mice to a snake I had (the only way he would eat) but I would never feed a live mouse to my cats for several reasons
  1. My cats would tease and torment the poor mouse (there is truth to the "cat and mouse" phrase) whereas the snake caught the mouse and constricted it IMMEDIATELY
  2. Risk of damage to my cat (snakes are better armored against mouse bites/scratches than cats are)
  3. Risk of the mouse getting away and starting a mouse colony in my walls (the snake tank sealed so the mouse couldn't get away)
There are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.
If you want to raise mice, humanely kill them, then feed them to your kitties that is a different story.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't think its cruel because it happens in nature, mice get killed and eaten by cats, and with regards to that other thread, they were all ferals, so I'm sure they've eaten mice live before...

However, like others have said, the mice could bite up your cats pretty good and escape and then MOUSEY COLONY.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I know a girl who buys live mice at Petco for her snake. She does kill them first, as she doesn't want to risk them getting out of the cage somehow. She told me she just "thunks them on the head with a flick of my finger" and it apparently does the job (I guess they are so small that it's enough pressure?).

I have also pondered doing this. I'm not sure I could dangle them by the tail and thunk their heads with a finger-flip (for one thing, my aim would be off if they're dangling!). I have yet to figure out another way to humanely (quickly and not too messily) kill the mousies. So for now, my cats only get Pounce treats ;)

See, I'm sort of stuck with a catch 22 ...yes, they're mice and in nature are eaten by cats. But they ARE living creatures, and I don't want to kill them in a way that makes them suffer for more than a split instant, either!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts