Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice on timed feedings for my cat Freja. I've had her about 2 months now. Since I got her, she's been getting portioned food - I started with daily 1/2-2/3 cup and then switched to twice daily feeds on my vets advice (for a total of 1/2 cup/daily). The issue is that now that I'm more settle into work I'm taking overnight call which means I'm at work for 24+hours.

My parents always had cats growing up and they simply always had a bowl out full of food and the cats would "self-ration." I tried this with Freja once and she simply inhaled the whole bowl (a whole cup of food!) within a few hours so this does not seem like it would work for her.

Does anyone have advice for how to manage her feeds while I'm at work? If I give her 1/2 cup in the morning she still scarfs it down right away so I worry about her getting too hungry in the evening. I'm thinking of either getting an automated feeder or a stimulo-type puzzle feeder as the manufacturers claim the cats don't overeat with those. I'm open to suggestions.

If its important, she eats Purina EN, 1/2 wet and 1/2 dry

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would just feed her a really good portion of canned food in the morning, more than you normally feed her, since you will be gone so long, then if you can get a programable feeder, that would work. I have seen the ones that have several bowls that go off at different times. I have heard some people say that they even freeze a can of food, put it in the next one to go off so that it is ok by the time they eat the next meal....I thought that sounded brilliant. I am not a big advocate of dry food, but in your case, part dry food would probably be ok, but I would not start feeding a ton of dry food to her, or she will get overweight and potentially get other problems as well (been there with my cats). I think a programable feeder would definitely help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She really loves her dry food, I think its the stuff they add to it. I read online that they add some fancy proteins that cats go bananas over. The only way she eats wet is if I add FortiFlora (a tip I read on the same website)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts