Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching our kitties to canned only, only giving my girls the good high end grain free stuff. I've been trying to vary the flavors and meats, but sometimes one of them likes it and the other doesn't (Squeek likes red meats but not Lickorish, Lickorish loves seafood which I need to limit, Squeek is iffy on seafood, they both like fowl).

Hubby says to just find one or two they like and stick with that. He's from the 'find something I like and stick with it' camp, even in his own diet. I always like variety and trying new things, but maybe I shouldn't impose that on my kitties.

So what are your opinions?

ps: i did offer them raw once but they turned their noses up. Not really ready to deal with that kind transition now. They are almost 5 yrs old and eat the canned with no issues except some meat/flavor preferences.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I have 5 flavors I rotate.
Merricks, Turducken, Thanksgiving Dinner and Grammy's Pot Pie and Natures Variety Chicken and their Duck.
This gives me enough variety that Chiquita doesn't get jaded.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
As AC put it so perfectly in another thread. :)

I'd also recommend feeding your kitties a rotation of foods; this will keep them from becoming fixated on any one product (a problem if they change or stop producing it) and protect them from potential quality control issues by diluting their impact. Since cats can develop hypersensitivity when continually exposed to the same proteins or ingredients for extended periods, it will also help prevent food intolerance issues (and the associated diarrhea and vomiting).[FONT=&quot]

Dr. Hofve has a great article with even more reasons for rotating foods: Switching Foods.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I have 2 cans I use in a rotation that is anywhere from 6-18 months. They eat Natural Balance LID Duck & Green Pea until they don't like it anymore. This can be anywhere from 6-18 months. Then they eat Natural Balance LID Chicken & Green Pea until they don't like it anymore. By then they have forgotten they have ever eaten duck so they they think it's brand new when I switch them back to it :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have 8 different brand of canned food at home: Wellness, Evo, Innova, Performentra Ultra, Chicken soup, Weruva BFF, Nutrience organic, and Natural Instinct. Counting in different flavors, that's a long list. I give them different brand/flavor every day. Adding in some raw food and occasional Orijien dry, I would say my cats get even more variety than I do :)

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
My kitties eat Merricks Turducken, Thanksgiving Dinner, Grammy's Pot Pie, Cowboy Cookout and Wellness Core. I give them a different flavor every meal. I keep them stacked up in my pantry so I can see which one to pick next.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
My kitties eat Merricks Turducken, Thanksgiving Dinner, Grammy's Pot Pie, Cowboy Cookout and Wellness Core. I give them a different flavor every meal. I keep them stacked up in my pantry so I can see which one to pick next.

Me too.
I only have 1 cat right now but I have the cat food stacked by flavor so I can keep track of the rotation.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
As I'm on a budget, I spend $50 (payment for taking care of Xanthe) on high quality food, and get 9-Lives to last for however longer they need food for the month. I feed high quality in the morning, and 9-Lives in the evening. Though I think I may stick to pate, as they don't seem to like the shreds or chunks... they just lick the gravy and leave the 'meat' on the plate to dry out.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
@ Marie - That picture always makes me /sigh with contentment. All those cans stacked neatly and facing the came way.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm no cat food expert but we've (wife and I) done some research and found that the pate is better for them any way. The "shreds" and "chunks" are vegetable matter that are extracted through a press.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well, I started putting the chunk/shred stuff in The Magic Bullet and making it into soup-goop stuff. They still won't eat it. So I'll just not bother with the extra work and buy only pate. It limits the flavor variety, but I guess if they're not eating it anyway, they won't miss it! LOL

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
@ Marie - That picture always makes me /sigh with contentment. All those cans stacked neatly and facing the came way.
Yeah, someone made me do it. Remember the first picture I posted? :grin:

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Yes, I admit it does.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i also vote for variety! my cats get about 8 different brands of wet food, and within those, different flavors as well. they also don't seem to like eating the same thing as the last meal.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Missy turned up her nose at the more expensive canned foods although some of those mentioned don't seem to be available to me. She'll eat Friskies or Finicky Cat. I also had Evo dry and she got through a bag of that, but now won't touch it. I have Friskies dry. I had that in a dish so that she could snack when she wanted, but she rarely ate it.

Then last May I ended up in hospital for four days. I was lucky in that my next door neighbour was willing to go in and feed her. She always has a large bowl of water available. Therefore, in case of future emergencies, I cut the top of the Friskies dry bag so that in the event of something happening to me, she'd have food to eat. I left the dry food dish out.

No prizes if you guess that she left the dish alone and eats out of the bag. Sometimes when she wants wet food (I'm an erratic person so she get fed when she asks for food other than the sardine :see elsewhere) she'll stick her nose in the bag and pretend to be eating while glancing around at me. Sneaky! She wants wet food.

But to get to the flavour question. She dirves me crazy because she'll gobble down a certain flavour, then when I stock up, she'll go off it. Salmon dinner, beef dinner, chicken dinner, tuna and chicken. I steer clear of turkey, mainly because Zenobi wouldn't touch it. Although I bought some turkey bacon for myself and hated it. For a while Missy ate bits of it.

MIssy also gets the occasional morsel of raw chicken, at times a bit of cooked, and morsels of canned ham.

Of course, I can always feed rejected canned food to Guy the outside (from choice) abandoned cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts