Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a bowl of dry food set out all day and I also want to feed Twinkie a partial diet of wet food. How much should I feed him? I get a standard size can and feed him a big spoonful at dinnertime. Should I give him more than that? what brands of wet food are quality?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm not very good at judging how much dry food a cat should eat since my cat is an all-wet food cat. I would recommend starting a feeding schedule. That is, leave food out only for so long and then remove it. Then you'd be able to tell exactly how much food your cat is getting each day. Dr. Jean says that a cat's diet should be at least 50% wet, so I would up the amount of wet food and lower the amount of dry food. An average-sized cat would probably get about six ounces of canned food a day.

Here's Dr. Jean's article on how to select a good cat food: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004. I highly recommend Wellness and I know other Cat Forum members have had good luck with Felidae, Innova, and Nutro Natural.

I moved this over to Health & Nutrition for you. :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
No problem.

I just re-read what I wrote and I'm not sure I was very clear. When I said that an average-sized cat would get 6 oz. of food, that's assuming the cat is being fed only canned food. You wouldn't want to feed a cat 6 oz. of canned food and leave dry food out all day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after reading the forums today I am switching Twinkie from Iams to Nuva. It's not that much more expensive and it seems like a good brand from the reviews I've gotten on the boards. 6 oz does seem like a lot if I have dry food out. I'll probably stick with the good size glob I give him now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts