Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purposefully put this in the Health and Nutrition forum because I'm concerned not with our personal preferences in pretty bowls and dishes but with what is healthy and comfortable for the cat to eat from.

I was at a workshop with a very good cat behaviorist, and she said that we must feed our cats in wide dishes and bowls because otherwise their whiskers clash with the sides. Then I bought a small, cute bowl at her cat boutique, so I'm confused (she doesn't sell anything that might be unhealthy or uncomfortable to cats). I didn't have an opportunity to ask her.

Do you use flat dishes, bowls, big, small, etc.? What shape? What do you feed in each shape? What about raw meat, dry food, canned, treats?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use different dishes for each cat. Athena either gets a plate or a shallow bowl. Apollo gets a deeper bowl because if his food is on a plate, he just licks it off the plate and ends up pushing it across the floor and makes a huge mess.

Apollo doesn't seem bothered by deeper bowls but Athena doesn't like them, so it probably depends on the cat to some degree. Shallow bowls or plates are probably the best idea for cats who seem averse to having their whiskers touch the bowl.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Should be large/wide enough so that whisker dont touch the sides. Not really a requirement but some cats don't like that.

I think a good generalization, but just a generalization, is that most cats don't like to put their head into a “hole” and prefer a more shallow option that allows them to monitor their environment while they eat.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My cats seem to prefer something like a glass pie dish for eating. But have no problem stuffing their heads into a tall water glass either.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I use a metal dish with sides that only come up about 1/2 inch. Water is in a metal bowl.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2 like to eat whatever the other one is eating, so I got a few double-bowls with a couple inches between bowls. It allows them to eat in relative peace from their brother/sister.

I want to find a marble water bowl. They used to be easy to find. Now I'm having trouble finding a single one for water.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I purposefully put this in the Health and Nutrition forum because I'm concerned not with our personal preferences in pretty bowls and dishes but with what is healthy and comfortable for the cat to eat from.
I think the key here is the cat. Some of the generalizations are true - widear flater shallow bowls. I have been fostering some kittens with some eating /devopmental issue ans have read a lot on cats with reflux lately, it seems for some the raised bowls isn not an aesthetic issue but a health issue so I guess we can toss that into the mix as well.

our cats eat of of either glass cereal bowls (same as the people) or the steel shallow plate/bowls (no real curve about 4" diameter with a 1/2" high side and a no skid bottom).

For itty bitty kitties I start with tiny bowls like the kind you use for soy sauce in an asian restaurant just so they are less like to step in it or waste food.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I find is that shallow bowls are difficult for them to eat dry food...?

Nora, I had heard that raised water bowls are important, but is it true also for food bowls?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dishes for Midnight, the wild cat. The food bowl is pretty big and was the cheapest one on the sale table at the pet store. :p For treats I use the plastic lid to some container and replace them often. That way he is not eating off (and slobbering on) the carpet remnant.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GT, that's the kind we use at the strays' hospital. They're the best, because they're both wide and deep. Problem is they're plastic, which I'm told develops more germs than glass.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Outdoor cats are indeed a different story. My strays drink from the puddles in the mud right after I pour there the old water and put fresh water in their bowl. LOL

·
Registered
263 Posts
I honestly don't know about the importance of raising food and water bowls. I am currently fostering 2 8week old + kittend who will only eat with assissted feeding, I spent so much time looking up ways to do this that are easier on them that I came across a slew of illness specific sites and one thing that came up over and over again was raising the height of the food and water bowls to increase appetite and decrease discomfort.
I haven't found any real hard data to back it up but would love to read anything that you know of - seems interesting & possibly helpful especially to more physically/medically fragile cats.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Round stainless steel. It has high sides but MowMow seems to fold his whiskers back out of the way while he eats.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nora, I don't know anything more than that. This cat behaviorist at the workshop said to raise the water bowl (she said food bowl is not so important) if we want our cats to drink more, because it's hard for cats to stoop to drink. I came home and raised the water bowl immediately (I'm always grateful for tips that don't require stretching even more my budget) and Prince has drank a lot more since then, he also seems to enjoy drinking and he stopped asking to drink from the tap (not that it bothered me, I liked watching him drink from the tap). So now I fill a tall bowl to the brink for my strays, because I know it's healthier for them and it makes them drink more in this weather.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some of my strays also LOVE to drink from my wide-rimmed bottle of water with which I fill their bowls. To them it's a treat, and I assume it's because they can sit fully erect while drinking from it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good tips from you & prince - may actually explain the desire so many cats have to drink from people glasses, hmm.

An inexpensive resonable suggestion I read on one site was to use upside terra cotta pots to raise bowls, heavy enough to stay in place and sturdy enough not to tip....wondering about raising water bowls in my house now as I haven't invested in a fountain......

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, that's a great idea I think. I think I want to buy Prince one of those trays that are used for breakfast in bed. These are all-plastic, cheap, very sturdy and easy to wash in the sink. Then I can raise the food dishes too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I now use the little 6" paper plates for the wet food. The dry food is in a self dispensing feeder & the water is in a 2 gal dispenser. Both were from a farm supply store & not meant for cats (pigs I think) . The crew doesn't seem to mind. And since I don't have a dishwasher here it works for us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts