Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I'm redundant. I do a search and don't always find exactly what I'm looking for. :?
So I bought a couple of cans of friskies (the gluten free ones from a website on a previous post) and have been feeding Charlie a mix of it and the Purina dry. I want to get him comfortable with a wet/dry mix before I switch him over to a healthier dry. Looking into a good wet..
I went to our local Japanese pet store and the only healthy looking food was Natural Balance. Is it any good? I only remember seeing dry, but, I did have the kids with me and may have missed the wet.
Right now he is eating a 1/4 5oz can friskies with 1/4C dry 2x a day. I tried 1/2can wet and he just couldn't finish it. He is barely finishing his morning meal (1/4 wet & 1/4C dry) before I feed him at dinner time. Do I need to start him off slow and build him up to more wet? He is a 10lb 4yo and not super active..though I'm pretty sure he has an URI and that's may be why he's not running everywhere. I don't mind feeding him a mix of dry/wet as I'm pretty sure he's had a good amount of just dry at the rescue. No idea what he had before then.
How long can the wet sit out? He is absolutely a nibbler.
His fur feels so much better, even only 3days after being on the wet diet. Am I crazy? And he doesn't seem to be sneezing and rubbing his nose as much.
What are some healthy treats I/kids can give him? He loves to try and sneak in when they are done with their cereal and drink the leftover milk :roll: I keep hearing milk is bad, so I've told the kids to flip their bowl and not let him in them.
Thanks for any help. I hate to sound repetitive, I just want Charlie to live forever and have the best life possible. He is such a sweetheart. :luv

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I feed my guys Natural Balance L.I.D Duck and Green Pea wet food. I have also fed them the Venison and Chicken flavors of same. It is good food. The L.I.D. foods are grain free, which I think is a good thing. Twice a day I put out 1/2 of a 6 oz. can. They share, and sometimes they finish in 30 seconds and sometimes they don't finish. If they finish quickly I will often give them a little more. They have access to dry food all day.

1/2 a big can, twice a day, for a 4 YO seems pretty reasonable to me, especially if he has access to dry food as well.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Natural Balance is a good food. I'm not sure why you want to feed a dry/wet mix (if, by that, you mean dry and wet food mixed together). I would suggest just feeding wet on its own and, if you want, you could then leave a bit of dry out during the day for him to nibble on. If you do choose to mix the dry with the wet, then I wouldn't leave the combined wet/dry food out for more than a half hour.

Milk is not bad, per se, although many cats will throw up if they drink milk (cow's milk). Still, water is preferable, and he'd be better off getting his additional calories from high-quality foods rather than milk.

As for healthy treats, I feed my girls freeze-dried shrimp or chicken, which they love. There are some others I feed, although I don't know if they're available in Japan. Abby also loves little pieces of cooked chicken or deli-meats, which I give her now and again as a treat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for specifying that. I'm so used to mixing wet/dry food for a dog, that's what I've been doing for Charlie.:oops:
I gave him 1/3 can (5.5oz) and 1/4C dry next to each other in the bowl. Hope he eats today. He barely finishes breakfast and hardly touches dinner. I'm sure after his trip to the vet Monday he will start to eat more. The neighbor says he definitely has a cold/URI.
We are military so are able to get some things that are in the States. There is also a large pet store and most items are written in English and Japanese.
Deli meats are ok? I'm honestly clueless.
Thanks again for all your help :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Deli meats are fine as a treat now and again, along with things like cooked shredded chicken. But, I woudn't overdo it with treats! If he has a cold, his sense of smell is likely affected, which will also affect his eating. You could try warming up the wet food a little bit (not hot, just lukewarm), which will make it more "smelly" and perhaps encourage him to eat a bit more. If he's having trouble breathing, you can put him in a bathroom with a hot shower running for a while to clear up his sinuses (perhaps put him in the bathroom when you or others are taking a shower). I hope he feels better soon.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The URI may be contributing to his appetite, but I think you're also offering him a lot of food. 1/2 cup of dry is enough for a 10lb cat for the day, then you're offering a half can wet in addition. I would cut down the dry to 1/8 cup at each meal. If he's still hungry you can give him more.

My cats get 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can for breakfast, same for dinner and 1/8 cup dry before bed. Calorie wise 1/3 can and 1/8 cup are about the same unless you're feeding a really high calorie dry like EVO.

Natural Balance is a good food. I would not recommend feeding the LID varieties if your cat doesn't need them. Allergies can develop over time, you want something to fall back on if an issue occurs. When I fed NB my cats loved the Ultra wet food (can't feed it now because Holly has a fish allergy).

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Natural Balance is a good food. I would not recommend feeding the LID varieties if your cat doesn't need them. Allergies can develop over time, you want something to fall back on if an issue occurs. When I fed NB my cats loved the Ultra wet food (can't feed it now because Holly has a fish allergy).
I agree. I feed the LID because Franklin has chicken issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts