Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down earlier than ususal today to feed Guy, the outside cat. I don't know how I knew he'd be there, but he was. He gets fed up on an old kitchen chair as this makes it difficult for the next door's cat to run him off his food. Poor Guy. He always looks over his shoulder for her, but the chair has helped a lot. There's not room on the chair for both of them. Sometimes, though, I think he might be leaving a bit for her.

Then I went down to see if he was there for lunch. He was and I gave him his normal amount. Ten minutes later I was in the kitchen upstairs when I heard what sounded like him jumping down onto the sundeck. Sure enough, he was there, so I went down and gave him more lunch, which he seemed to want.

I'm not sure if there's any mental communication with him. Often I'll be out and when I get home he's waiting for me in front. The thing is, I never feed him at the front, always at the back. Couple of months ago he joined me as I walked home nearly two blocks away from the house. He happily trotted away about ten feet in front of me. I chatted to let him know I was still there as he reassured himself by glancing over his shoulder now and then.

He's an abandoned cat and perhaps the most docile I've ever known. He may be starved for affection as well as food. I do my best, but he wants to be petted on the ground, and that's a bit hard on the back. One of these days I'll remember to take the camara down and get some pics

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Guy sounds like he really appreciates all of your love and care by going for walks with you.

Perhaps you could teach him to jump on the chair, or something else high so that you don't have to bend to give him some love.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had some experiences with dumped cats. You said, "but he wants to be petted on the ground, and that's a bit hard on the back." Have you considered sitting on your deck in a chair while feeding him? Just let your arm dangle over the arm of the chair. Let him come over and rub over your hand. Go at his speed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you have him on your lap within a week or 2.
Sounds very much like when Colonel came to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts