Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is only fed dry food. My girlfriend says that if we give him wet food, he won't eat the dry stuff. Is there any real reason or need to feed him wet (canned) food, or will he be ok on just the dry stuff?

We feed him purina kitten food btw, how does this rate against the others?

Oh yeah, also, how do I know exactly how much to feed him? The amounts on the bag are quite vague.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There's no need to give the kitten canned food. I give my cats canned food as a treat when they've been good (for an example after I've trimmed their nails). Most cats can cope with eating both dry and canned food.

Since your cat is a kitten I think you should let him eat as mucha s he wants to. Kittens rarely get fat. When he's fully grown it's really best to follow the manufacturers recommendations for a start. If it seems to be to small amount of food you give him more, if it seems to be to big amount of food give him less. You'll have to try and see what happens.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
He will definitely be fine on just dry food, but I had the same problem when my cats were little kittens. I did try out the canned food b/c I wanted to give them variety and treats for being so good, they seem to LOVE it, will go crazy for it and used to mix in their dry food with it so they wouldnt just eat the canned food. Now a year later I feed my 2 cats 1/2 of a 3 oz. can each morning without dry food mixed in and then I leave out dry food so they nibble all day. My kittens sure ate more then what they required on that bag and so I did feed them more than what was recommended and they are pretty normal sized I would say- Twinkie (boy) is 7 1/2 lbs and Sugar (girl) is 9 1/2 lbs. and they are both a year and some months old. I dont know that much about kitten food but I fed them the moist kitten food, forgot the name but I have to feed both my cats Science Diet Id from the vet since Sugar throws up with any other type of food and I mix it with proplan and they like that since they pick out the Proplan chicken. Amazing how I come home and all the chicken pieces are gone but not the other stuff! I would definitely try a canned food maybe once a week or try it out, cats are pretty smart where they wouldnt starve themself until they get that canned food. Hope that helps! BTW, that is a very cute kitty :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Generally, it is harder to break a cat from eating moist food to get it to eat dry food, especially if it's been eating moist food for a long time. I agree with the answers others are giving you. I believe you should let the kitten eat as much as it wants because they are constantly growing and playing etc. Like mentioned by someone else here, you rarely see fat or overweight kittens. My vet, actually told me that there was no need to feed cats moist food and that dry was perfectly fine and he prefered them being on an all dry diet. :)

- Randy

·
Registered
676 Posts
A kitten above the age of 6 weeks (in my opinion, the age varries a little) can do just fine on soly dry food for the rest of it's life. And even better depending on the brand/ingredients you buy.

I consider wet food (canned) to be a treat, you can feed it once a day in addition to dry food as often as said before it can be a wonderful source of meat and moister which cats need.

Or you can feed it every once in a while, my gang gets it every 3 days.

Or dry is fine, some cats can get picky and hold out for wet food, some will only like dry, but for the most part, a cat will be happy with the occasional treat of wet food and not revolt against you. ;) hee hee

A quick list of good foods off the top of my head before I dash off to work again.

(all of these are great for kittens AND adults, and in no particular order)
1.) Felidae
2.) Solid Gold
3.) Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul
4.) Innova
5.) Pinnacle
6.) Wellness
7.) TimberWolf Organics
8.) Blue
9.) Natural Balance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts