Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this idea sound? My plan was to feed my new kitten an all premium, grain free canned. Then I had this thought. Still have almost all canned, with half a handful, maybe a dozen pieces, of dry on the side. This way, if I have to be away for a day I can leave the dry out and he will already be used to eating it? Or maybe only do this a few days in advance of me leaving him alone for a day.

Seems like a decent idea, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Oh, I wouldn't leave him while he's still a kitten.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
The ideal diet is 100% natural moisture (raw or canned) but the reality is that sometimes we need the convenience of kibble. My stance has always been that a little kibble is not going to have a significant effect on the overall health of a cat. Mine get 1/8 of a cup each per day because they like it and there are times when I need to feed it. Monitor weight, hydration and urine output (amount and concentration) and if they're all reasonable then using a little kibble is not a big deal.

·
Registered
410 Posts
When we feed grain free canned we sometimes add kibble! I agree with doodlebug, if their overall diet is good then it shouldn't cause an issue. We very occasionally leave it out for them if we're going to be gone overnight but they usually wait until we come home, they'll eat a few pieces of kibble at a time but not a bowlful unless we mix it with water and canned food.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had the same idea, but didn't work out. My cats love dry food so much that whenever I take out drys, they will finish it in a blink of eyes, even when they just had their wet food :/

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that, but I know at my house if I tried that Neko would stop eating wet food, even if that would leave him malnurished. He's a hard core kibble addict. I have no doubt that if I had to leave my cats without a sitter for some reason that they would happily eat dry even though they don't get any now. But every cat is different in that regard so if that's something you're worried about I don't think there's any harm in giving a little dry food.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I believe my cats have been in better health since I changed the ratio of food
to mainly wet with dry just as a supplement. I use Natural Balance canned for
the major portion of their meals and Evo dry sparingly.

My cats have better looking coats, no constipation problems, and fewer
weight issues with wet food being the main food for them. It took a lot
of experimentation to find a wet food that all six agreed upon! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts