Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been very busy and I've come to the conclusion that either I feed canned food or feed my cats a raw diet once a day. Sure, there will be more days out of the week where they'll be getting their raw meals twice a day but whenever I'm having a busy day, I can't manage to feed them more than once, with all the cleaning, disinfecting, washing dishes, thawing, etc. it just takes too much time on a busy day. This is OK right? I don't want to starve them :? Each meal will consist of 3-4 oz of meat and my cats CAN consume that much meat in one sitting. They are 1 yr old cats who are CONSTANTLY hungry but I am sure they will survive.

Also, do you guys disinfect their eating plates with diluted bleach? I have been washing the counters, the floors and even their plates with diluted bleach. Right after they eat.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I wouldn't only feed once a day but you can try it and see how they do. If they start throwing up bile or act hungry a lot then I'd say you can't do only one meal.

I do not disinfect with bleach, I just wash dishes with soap and water and if the food got on the floor I do the same. It's the same thing my parents do to the counter after they make dinner and have to cut or prepare the raw meat before cooking.

Thawing shouldn't take long either, just toss a baggie with the meal into the fridge after feeding the previous meal and then take it out at feeding time and dump it onto a clean dish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you thought of using paper/plastic plates to save yourself some time? I realize it creates garbage but then again, you also use less cleaning means.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I feed the farm cats once a day but for most of them that is what they have known ever since they were weaned from their mom. They are hungry every night at 7pm or after...if I try feed at 6pm they aren't very hungry yet. It is just what they are used too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When i was feeding Beltira and Belkira they could finish a 13.5 ounce can of wet food in one sitting!

that's how hungry cats can get if you feed them only once a day.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I've always fed my cats twice a day and think it's better for them. If time is a constraint feed when you get up in the morning and right before you go to bed. Also, I wash their plates with dish detergent and water--no bleach.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have you thought of using paper/plastic plates to save yourself some time? I realize it creates garbage but then again, you also use less cleaning means.
How did I not think of that? Thank you so much for the great idea!

I guess I'll just feed as soon as I wake up and whenever I come back from work, at night.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I fed my cats once a day for years, but then i got a habitual puker and she does better with more meals. So of course everyone else wants to get fed when she's getting fed....:eek:nekitty

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feed mine 3 times a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts