Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Q maybe you can help me with, since I'm waiting to get access to the health forum. Before my cats were eating 1/4-1/2 of a can each of wet food in the evenings and then dry food was left out for them to free feed throughout the day. If I try switching to a wet only diet (I'm thinking maybe it is the dry food that's causing Levi to throw up), how much wet food should I give them per day? Levi is almost 9 lbs. and Lucy is almost 11 lbs. If I were to follow the feeding directions on the cans, I'd be in debt pretty quick from buying cat food!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
I'd start with one 5.5-6 oz can a day each and then monitor their weight and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Hard to say how much when you don't mention the age of your cats or their activity level. My Devon Rexes weight more than 10 lbs. each and I give them each 3 heaping tablespoons of no-grain canned food per meal morning and evening. They get no kibble or free feeding between the meals. So far they are thriving and they're both 7 yrs. old and fairly active (not quite as much as they were in the first 5 yrs.). They are well muscled and not overweight.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Correction: I shouldn't post so late at night.....the quantity of food I feed is 3 heaping teaspoons per cat morning and evening, not 3 heaping tablespoons. They would look like blimps if I fed them that much!​

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say how much when you don't mention the age of your cats or their activity level. My Devon Rexes weight more than 10 lbs. each and I give them each 3 heaping tablespoons of no-grain canned food per meal morning and evening. They get no kibble or free feeding between the meals. So far they are thriving and they're both 7 yrs. old and fairly active (not quite as much as they were in the first 5 yrs.). They are well muscled and not overweight.
Sorry, thought I put that info in the OP! Both were adopted as stryas, so ages are approx. guesses from the vet. Levi is almost 9 lbs. (he's been losing weight and I want to increase it) and is about 7 yrs. old, Lucy is almost 11 lbs. (looks big but I think that's her female physique, she's never been as lean as Levi) and about 4 yrs. old. They are both indoors all the time and play and chase some, but mostly like to cuddle with us or sleep on the couch.

Levi seems to be missing his dry food, so I want to get him some better stuff this week. I've been doing about 1/4 of a 5.5 or 6oz. can morning and night per cat of the wet food and then leaving some dry stuff in their dishes overnight. But they always seem hungry so I don't think that's enough. And Levi tends to eat small bits at a time, but if we aren't around, then Lucy will finish off his food when he leaves it :(

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah, most 5.5 - 6 oz cans say to feed 1 can per day per 8 lbs. or so. The 12-13 oz cans say to feed 1/2 can. YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts