Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my kittens are now 8 and 9 months old. I have pretty much set up a feeding routine that the seem to be happy with... well until recently. I feed them both 1/3 cup of dry food each as well as a half 80g can of wet of 1/4 of a big (5.5) can of food. I feed them at 7 am and then again at 7 pm. This was normally never a problem because they would typically eat all the wet and then graze the dry throughout the day/night. Within the past month or so they have been scarfing down their dry right after the wet and bugging for more food an hour later.

Now anytime I go to the kitchen they come sprinting crying loudly and circling my feet causing me to either trip or step on them. I'm not sure where this came from. I've started to feed them several treats throughout the day so help them get through to meal time... they worked up until recently where they just bug for more treats after. They were both de-wormed recently and had parasite/worm tests that came back negative so I'm not sure what's going on.

Are they really that hungry or just want more food?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
What kind of dry are you feeding? You could easily feed them each 1/2 of the larger can plus the dry. They are growing kittens are proabally actually are hungry. You could add a canned meal before you go to bed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm feeding wellness core dry. Ya I think I will go back to that... I was doing that for a while (either feeding whole small can or half of large) but worried they would gain too much weight. I think I will start to do that and just cut back on the treats. Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
as well as a half 80g can of wet of 1/4 of a big (5.5) can of food.
I'm not exactly sure what this means. But they are kittens and burn off far more calories than adults. You do not have to worry about over feeding at this age. As Nan suggested, i would beef up the wet food and add a third meal.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Beef up the wet, cut back the dry....at their age I recommend (1) 5.5 oz can of wet and 1/4 cup dry each. I'd feed 3 meals.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beef up the wet, cut back the dry....at their age I recommend (1) 5.5 oz can of wet and 1/4 cup dry each. I'd feed 3 meals.

I think I will break it up into 3 meals... I tried feeding a whole 85g can of wet between the two of them and I now remember why I only fed half at a time. Anytime my one cat eats that much wet at once she throws it up for some reason. I think she eats wet to fast because she really likes it.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
You can always split a meal into two smaller meals about 30-45 minutes apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts