Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am new to this cat business, I wanted to get some advice on feeding.

My kitten was on dry food when we got her at 6 weeks old. She is now 8 weeks old and we just leave dry food out for her (leading cause of obesity, i know) while making sure she has plenty of water.

We had to do it this way since my wife and I are away from home from 11 hours during the day. I will now have the opportunity to only be away for 4 hours at a time therefore being able to feed her on a breakfast-lunch-dinner sort of schedule.

So, my question is, are 3 meals enough? Should all meals be wet food or can i do some wet and some dry? Do I leave dry food out for grazing?

I appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you for the information. I have heard that kittens need a lot of small meals throughout the day.

To be more specific on my question, how do those of you that work 8+ hours a day properly feed a kitten? And do they need to have food during the night?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I free fed dry until the kittens were 6 months, then gave them 3 meals a day until they were 1 now it's twice a day. I gave them a combo of wet/dry when they were kittens they are now on wet only

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Canned food can be left out for 8 hrs, if necessary, esp. if half of it is frozen before being left out. The kitten will eat the unfrozen half first, by which time the frozen portion will have thawed and be available and adequately fresh for the rest of the day.

Alternatively, you could buy an automatic feeder with a freezer pack that keeps canned food cool and fresh throughout the day.

Laurie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts