Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm feeling bummed out. I've had this cat since January and he's a little over a year now, he's always had a problem with biting me nonstop. Latching onto me and gnawing. Nothing gets him to stop. No amount of NO, or ignoring him or anything else works.

I visited family out of state for an entire month, my first trip away from the cat, and my Fiance' stayed home with him, and I just got back today.

Almost the first thing he did to me was start biting me :\

I thought he would have forgotten how to bite, I was praying for it. Even my fiance' said "It's like he forgot how to bite, he never bites me" (which the cat never did to him anyways in the first place), but it looks like he remembered. Oh well.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, he doesn't bite my fiance', and he obviously loves my fiance'. He literally gnaws on me, leaving marks, like I'm a toy. I scream, say NO, clap, hiss, do every thing I've ever read online and nothing stops it. I even got him a kitten playmate whom he gets along with to stop it, but he still does it to me. It's like he hates me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe buy something you can put on your skin so when the cat bites you it gets a bad taste.. Like something spicy?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
What kind of body lotions (scents) or perfume do you wear??
Also if you ever played with him with your hands (cute when they're little!) It can be real hard to redirect them to something appropriate, which is what you need to do!
If you jerk away when he 'bites' you are more resembling prey that's trying to get away...so don't jerk! Yell 'Ow' and he should let go....redirect with a toy, something like the feather on the stick toy,
Or a catnip toy to throw, crinkle balls, etc..
Its not that he hates you, he likes you almost to much!! He thinks he can play rougher with you! So you need to redirect that!
And as crazy as it sounds something as simple as a body lotion, could have something in it, that sends him over the top! :p

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe buy something you can put on your skin so when the cat bites you it gets a bad taste.. Like something spicy?
I've put mild hot sauce on my hands and arms >_> Bad for cats, I know, but I was desperate lol.

He didn't bite me with the sauce on, but it's not like I can wear hot sauce all the time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of body lotions (scents) or perfume do you wear??
Also if you ever played with him with your hands (cute when they're little!) It can be real hard to redirect them to something appropriate, which is what you need to do!
If you jerk away when he 'bites' you are more resembling prey that's trying to get away...so don't jerk! Yell 'Ow' and he should let go....redirect with a toy, something like the feather on the stick toy,
Or a catnip toy to throw, crinkle balls, etc..
Its not that he hates you, he likes you almost to much!! He thinks he can play rougher with you! So you need to redirect that!
And as crazy as it sounds something as simple as a body lotion, could have something in it, that sends him over the top! :p
I do use unscented lotion, but even when I don't wear it he bites me. Also you say he "should" let go if I yell "Ow", but he doesn't. Nothing I yell or say has any effect, and pushing into the bite makes him bite harder. Weird cat :(

·
Banned
693 Posts
Can you have a spray bottle with you at all times....temporary as a trial.
When he bites, spray him. When he starts looking like he is coming at you to bite (you should know the look by now), spray him.
If you play with him, do not use your hands. Tire him out.

As a last resort, I would also try treats. I hate overfeeding, but you could try to offer treats and pet him. If he bites, spray him. Maybe it will trigger something.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I do use unscented lotion, but even when I don't wear it he bites me. Also you say he "should" let go if I yell "Ow", but he doesn't. Nothing I yell or say has any effect, and pushing into the bite makes him bite harder. Weird cat :(
That's exactly why I used "should" let go!!
Cats are all different in their personalities!
How old was he when you first got him? I
think you said he's a year old or so now?
Did he do this from the get go?
There has to be a reason he does this to you but not your fiancee...
How does he play with your other cat?
We just need to play cat detective...
I can understand the frustration...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you have a spray bottle with you at all times....temporary as a trial.
When he bites, spray him. When he starts looking like he is coming at you to bite (you should know the look by now), spray him.
If you play with him, do not use your hands. Tire him out.

As a last resort, I would also try treats. I hate overfeeding, but you could try to offer treats and pet him. If he bites, spray him. Maybe it will trigger something.
I use a spray bottle for counters and stuff but it doesn't really work much, sometimes he just sits there and lets me spray him lol. I guess I could have a bottle with me at all times but wouldn't that make him fear me eventually?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly why I used "should" let go!!
Cats are all different in their personalities!
How old was he when you first got him? I
think you said he's a year old or so now?
Did he do this from the get go?
There has to be a reason he does this to you but not your fiancee...
How does he play with your other cat?
We just need to play cat detective...
I can understand the frustration...
'

When I first got him he was 5-6 months, he was very cuddly and nice and sweet and then he just flipped a switch and started biting me. Getting him fixed didn't stop it. He never bit me when I first got him, that started a couple months after.

I really don't know why he does it to me and not my fiance'. I could be doing something to him that would make him bite me and then my fiance' does the same thing in the same way and doesn't get bit. My fiance' always says "Maybe your skin is just chewy" LOL.

He plays with the other cat by chasing each other around and just cat stuff, he is not overly aggressive with her. She's 6-7 months and needs fixed pronto! We got her a WEEK before I left to visit my family, rescued her off the streets, she started going into heat while I was away and I didn't want her fixed until I got back home so I could care for her.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
experiment with wearing latex (or non-latex, whatever you aren't allergic to) (or even cotton ones) gloves when he's around you for awhile and see if he does it.

there's that clear stuff they use for thumb-suckers, you shouldn't even have to re-apply it unless you wash your hands a lot.

you could try lemon juice too, although I had a lemon zest luna bar earlier and my cat went BERSERK for it. I mean like nothing else except for freshly cooked chicken or maybe treats. I couldn't believe it, because it is pretty lemony. it's crunchy-ish oats granola type stuff, and they're even vegan so there isn't any butter in them.

my last suggestion is one you might not even want to do because the smell bothers you: icy-hot or ben-gay, some kind of menthol rub on your hands. cats really hate it, but you might too lol.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
It sounds like play biting and not aggression towards you. He may outgrow it in time. Some cats are just mouthy - always chewing something. You can keep pieces of cardboard (Zipper used to love the crunch of biting into cardboard) near your favorite sitting spots and put that near his mouth when he bites so he will redirect his attention to that, then praise the HECK out of him. I think in time he will learn but it may take a long time. My Billy was a biter until he was 7.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My vote is for play too, but I wouldn't call it aggression - since its not - its just bad manners. He's just a kitten still, so keep that in mind and have patience with him.

Start playing with him twice a day, every day. Once in the morning, and again at night, grab a wand toy or a laser pointer and run that naughty baby until he's tired! Get him panting! That sound help drain his energy and reduce his chomping on you.

Step two is teaching him what he CAN chomp. Keep a toy near you, preferably a stuffed animal of some kind, and when he goes to chew on you stuff the toy into his face. If he chews on that encourage him by telling him he's a good boy, and using the toy to wrestle with him.

If you don't have a toy within arms reach simply get up and leave the room. That's a very clear message that his rudeness won't get him attention.

You're at a point with this where its switching from kitten naughtiness (aka normal) to an attention seeking behaviour. It's really important you put a lid on this now.

Attention seeking behaviours are things cats do naturally (bite, scratch, knock things over, ect) that WE inadvertently teach them gets attention. If he thinks the best way to get attention - he won't care if its good attention or not - then he'll get worse.

The only way to prevent this is to stop reacting in any way when he chews on you. You can either give him something to chew on, or ignore him and walk away. If you do one of those things every time he will stop...but it won't be fast. There are no quick fixes, it will change if you put in the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same problem with my Bart. He has broken skin on my hands many times. I know he's not doing it to be mean, but he just gets too excited. He is also biting our new cat on the back, but snuggles, plays, sleeps with him and grooms him. I hate it.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I have the same problem with my Bart. He has broken skin on my hands many times. I know he's not doing it to be mean, but he just gets too excited. He is also biting our new cat on the back, but snuggles, plays, sleeps with him and grooms him. I hate it.
LOVE your avatar, BartBuzz!! Really dramatically nice!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I think you should one by one try all these things until something works! My male used to bite me and my tolerance level is low. I think he just had to learn not to do it. I tried taking his nap and lifting it like a mom would do to carry him, and telling him no with a pointy finger. I always did the point and no with a stern voice. I waited a moment and pet him. I also put him outside, bobbed him lightly on the head like a cat would, yelped and told him he was hurting me. Crazy stuff. Maybe he outgrew it but I actually think he learned and the finger works for a lot of things. He knows the finger!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You can't try random things for a week at a time. Training kittens takes time, not because he's being sassy but because he's young and young animals make mistakes.

You need to consistantly replace your skin with something appropriate, and then leave him alone if he continues. It takes a LOT of repetition and time, but it will work if you stick with it. If you're cobsustant with it you should see improvement within a month; he still won't be 100% better, but you'll be on the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts