Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 5 year old cat who has a serious behavior issue and we are at our wits end on what to do. He gets really mad when we have guests over and he will swat and his at them...we have to chase him around to put him away when we have company. If we have company staying over we have to lock him in a bedroom with a litter box because our guest can't get up to use the bathroom or he will attack him. The cat also hates our neighbor. If the neighbor comes over and we go to the answer the door he will snap and twice he has attacked my husband and I. Just recently the neighbor came to the door ( we didn't know it was him), my husband opened the door and Catman lunged himself at my husband and sank his teeth into his calf and causing him to bleed and he had to go to the hospital.
Our biggest worry is we just had a baby and we can't afford having him attack her. He is the sweetest cat around all of us; however, once a stranger comes over he loses it...and out of nowhere will attack them. We have been living our lives around this cat and we have tried everything..............when we go away we only have two people that can watch our cats because he will attack anyone else and he is not too nice to the cat sitter either...we have to put everything out by the door so that they can just walk in the door change the litter box, feed them and then get out.
This last attack on my husband has really got us thinking that we may have to put him down...we can't risk him hurting our daughter and we don't know what else to do......can anyone help?
Please note that this started when he was little..started just hissing at people for no reason..he has a twin sister and she is fine. We don't know where it came from.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome, and I am sorry you are experiencing behavior problems with your kitty.
It seems like he has a very strong 'territorial' drive.
Was he very well socialized and handled?
Has he always been 'scary' for you and your husband to handle?
Is he reacting to the different odors being introduced into his home by visitors or is it purely a visual thing where he feels his personal space is being intruded upon?
Is he neutered? That is the only thing I could think of that could possibly make an immediate change in his behavior.

I am very sorry, I do not know what to advise. Perhaps a discussion with your vet about his behavior. You really do need to keep your family and guests safe. I do not envy the decision you may be forced to make.
Heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I have the same problem with my 3 yr old cat. He is so weird and unpredictible especially when guests come over. I hate that I have to lock him in the room but I have to because he will just attack people out of no where. There is one friend that comes over and he starts hissing and going crazy. When shes over I cant even be near him or he will attack me as well. But when no one is here he can be so sweet and cuddly with me and my boyfriend. Ive tried so many things and nothing seems to stick. Ive tried the spray bottle and it works temporarily. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. I love my cat but I get so annoyed with this behavior. Is there any chance to change it or is it to late?? Anything will help! thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts