Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm new to Cat Forum.I just received some news today from my Vet about one of the loves of me life... My Blk Cat ..He has hyperthyroidism. He's 11 yrs old...I was told the best thing to do for this in a cat his age is a treatment called Iodine 131. Its an injection of Radioiodine that is absorbed into and destroys only the thyroid tumor. Its a one time thing....the other option is medication 3 x daily for the rest of his life and blood work ups every 3 months... So, what I'm asking is has anyone every heard of this or has anyone been through this with their cat. Looking forward to hearing from someone...Please Help!
Thanks for Listening:wink

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
My oldest cat, SweetPea (almost 16 now), has hyperthyroidism and has been on the transdermal gel form of Methimazole for about 4 years now. He is on a twice daily dosage and has been fairly stable.

He isn't and wasn't a candidate for the Iodine treatment because of other health problems but I've read good things about this treatment for healthier cats. It is expensive initially but costs less in the long run than maintaining your cat on the Methimazole and the regular blood work that has to be done every four months.

Good luck in your decision and I'm sure others will respond soon who went with the Iodine treatment. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts