Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have two cats, the first is two and a half year old himalayan persian. The second is a 7 month old siamese. We took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with fip it is a terrible disease, untreatable we are going to have to lay him down. Has anyone in here experienced with this terribe disease? The 7 month old has FIP.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
FIP

I am sorry to hear about your kitty! FIP is a horrible disease, and virtually always fatal. It affects mainly young cats under 2 years old. It has always seemed to me that it tends to strike the very sweetest of cats, and it is a hard loss when that happens.

Fortunately, it is not particularly contagious, hopefully your other cat will be all right.

Sincerely,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
162 Posts
We went through this with our cat Newt about 7 months ago. Before we knew what it was we had seen 3 vets and spent around $1000.00 on drugs and therapy...none of it helped.

For the last month, he wasn't too bad up until the end. We had to force feed and force water (via syringe) to keep him eating and hydrated but he still lost weight. The final days are hard because they tend to go one of two ways:

FIP (wet): This form causes fluid to build up in the abdomen. If the water is not released regulary, the cat will drown.

FIP (dry): This is the form we dealt with. It is undetectable unless an autopsy is performed. Lesions form on the organs (mainly the liver) effecting just about all functions. The cat usually tend to have balance and other neural problems as the disease progresses.

We're pretty sure our cat had it his whole life (1 year). He was never a big eater and threw up quite often. Once he began having balancing problems and could no longer walk...we had him put down. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do only younger cats and kittens contract FIP? I ask because my 11 1/2 year old cat Mia recently passed away, and she displayed almost all the symptoms of this illness. When she first started getting sick, she stopped eating her dry food, so I switched to wet. She ate this for a bit, but then stopped that altogether as well. I ended up having to force-feed her during her last week alive as she had completely stopped eating or drinking on her own. At first she was drinking a LOT more than usual and urinating a lot more as well, but in her last days she stopped drinking entirely. When I took her to the vet the first time (about two weeks prior to her dying, when I first noticed signs of her not eating normally and her behavior had changed) it appeared she had an intestinal infection but my vet didn't consider that it could be FIP. She was put on anti-biotics which helped for a few days, but she ended up getting worse. Her last day alive was spent at the emergency vet, where the vet found her tummy filled with fluid, and her white blood count was astronomical. By this point, she had been sneezing often, could barely walk anymore as her muscles had deteriorated and she seemed dizzy when she did take a few steps. The vet there was the one who told me that it could be FIP, but it just seemed odd for an older cat to get this and I have no idea how she could've come down with it.

I guess I am just trying to understand how she died, and if it was FIP, how did she get it? Is it just 'one of those things' that cats get, or was there something I could've done to prevent it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support guys. We had to lay Mieko down today. It was sad but he was in peace finally. Our vet said he was probably born with fip through the mother. His stomach was always a bit on the big side. He was very active for his first 5 months. He slowed down, and really got bad a week ago. The results of his test were very overwelming in that
1:1024 his results
1:32-1:64 would be negative
1:128 positive
The disease can be contacted can hit older cat, though usually only to two yrs old. There is nothing we can do to prevent it, in that some cats are born with it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
FIP

Sorry to hear about your kitty! It's so sad to lose a young cat; it just isn't fair!

FIP does usually strike cats less than 2 years of age, but there is a second peak in cats over 10. So, while 11 is a little unusual, it is in the second expected period. My oldest FIP patient was a pretty 13-year old calico, and her tummy "blew up" overnight with fluid. It was a real shock.

FIP is a very hard disease to deal with. Its very name is erroneous. It is feline, but it is not particularly infectious, and it isn't always peritonitis. There is a vaccine for it, but the vaccine is ineffective, and some studies showed that vaccinated cats who developed FIP actually got sicker and died faster. None of the experts recommend this vaccine, and to my knowledge, very few vets give it. If yours is one, Just Say No!

FIP is really an autoimmune disease. The lesions and fluid that develop are due to the immune response to an otherwise harmless virus.

Nearly all cats are exposed to the corona virus as kittens. Conventional science speculates that the virus is eliminated by the immune system, or remains dormant in the vast majority of cats. In the few that develop FIP, they think the virus somehow mutates to a more virulent form. I don't buy that, myself, but I'm a bit radical on this one! IMHO the cause could also be the cat's immune system being altered in some way, either it's genetically abnormal, or something (unknown) happens to cause it to go haywire. Saying the coronavirus causes FIP is a little like saying "Flies cause garbage" just because the two are usually found together.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: FIP

drjean said:
Sorry to hear about your kitty! It's so sad to lose a young cat; it just isn't fair!

FIP does usually strike cats less than 2 years of age, but there is a second peak in cats over 10. So, while 11 is a little unusual, it is in the second expected period. My oldest FIP patient was a pretty 13-year old calico, and her tummy "blew up" overnight with fluid. It was a real shock.

FIP is a very hard disease to deal with. Its very name is erroneous. It is feline, but it is not particularly infectious, and it isn't always peritonitis. There is a vaccine for it, but the vaccine is ineffective, and some studies showed that vaccinated cats who developed FIP actually got sicker and died faster. None of the experts recommend this vaccine, and to my knowledge, very few vets give it. If yours is one, Just Say No!

FIP is really an autoimmune disease. The lesions and fluid that develop are due to the immune response to an otherwise harmless virus.

Nearly all cats are exposed to the corona virus as kittens. Conventional science speculates that the virus is eliminated by the immune system, or remains dormant in the vast majority of cats. In the few that develop FIP, they think the virus somehow mutates to a more virulent form. I don't buy that, myself, but I'm a bit radical on this one! IMHO the cause could also be the cat's immune system being altered in some way, either it's genetically abnormal, or something (unknown) happens to cause it to go haywire. Saying the coronavirus causes FIP is a little like saying "Flies cause garbage" just because the two are usually found together.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Jean,

In my research, I found that FIP like the corona virus is shed through the feces and can live outside the body anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 weeks. Is this true?

·
Registered
162 Posts
catwalk said:
Thanks for the support guys. We had to lay Mieko down today. It was sad but he was in peace finally. Our vet said he was probably born with fip through the mother. His stomach was always a bit on the big side. He was very active for his first 5 months. He slowed down, and really got bad a week ago. The results of his test were very overwelming in that
1:1024 his results
1:32-1:64 would be negative
1:128 positive
The disease can be contacted can hit older cat, though usually only to two yrs old. There is nothing we can do to prevent it, in that some cats are born with it.
Sorry for your loss. This disease is awful not only because the cat doesn't know what is happening but also because, as the owner, you're pretty much helpless. I scoured the net for a cure and only found a case of one cat that had put the disease in remission. What drjean says is 100% accurate, cats under 2 years and over 10 years are usually the effected due to under developed or weak immune systems.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Corona is an enveloped virus, as opposed to parvo (feline distemper), which is a non-enveloped virus. These terms refer to the structure of the virus particle. Enveloped viruses tend to be fragile and short-lived (such as feline leukemia, which lives only minutes once exposed to air). A few weeks survival is possible. Non-enveloped viruses are tougher and can survive a long time in the environment. Parvo can survive years in the soil. Corona is an intestinal virus and therefore is shed in feces.

In my experience, about 40% of normal cats test positive for coronavirus. A positive test only means exposure, not disease, in the absence of clinical signs.

A huge study of FIP in Britain found that the actual transmission rate in households where at least one cat was positive or had died of FIP was less than 5%. The cats all went outside and re-exposure was not impossible. Other studies have found similar transmission rates. That's pretty low. It's just not real infectious, although it can be a real problem in catteries because positive queens will pass it on to their kittens, and infect them before their immune systems are mature. Purebred cats tend to have funky immune systems anyway because of inbreeding and line breeding, and indeed purebreds appear to be more susceptible.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts