Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Banjo to the vet last night for a routine check up, and my vet told me that since male cats have a narrow urethra, cats have a low drive for thirst in general, and many cat foods produce urine w/ a low ph, that they are prone to Cystitis.

Now, this I know all too well because of what I went through with my last cat. In fact, that is how I ended up at this forum in the first place.

So, of course he handed me a Hill's pamphlet on urinary health and told me to think about putting him on a prescription diet. :roll:

I told him that I have him on an all canned diet for this reason, and he said well thats good for the moisture but there are ingredients in cat foods like fancy feast, cat chow, etc. that cause low ph. I asked if it was the corn/grains and he said no, its minerals. I told him that I am feeding him Innova, but he wasn't familiar enough with it to have an opinion on it, but for the premium price I am paying, I could feed him Hill's. He did encourage me to do some research online, and think about it.

So now I am just curious about the mineral thing, The Hill's pamphlet tells me nothing, really. Just that abundance of minerals can cause crystals, and that food affects ph. I thought that my vet said that its minerals like phosphorus and magnesium that cause cystitis, but now that I am looking into it he may have said calcium oxilate and magnesium ammonium phosphate....which are the crystals that are referred to as struvite. And that is something different that intersistitial cystitis....so now I am just totally confused, and maybe I heard him wrong.

He didnt say anything about fish ingredients, but I remember hearing that fish is high in minerals, and for this reason it is bad for urinary health.
Innova has herring and salmon in the ingredients, so I am just concerned about that.

I have a ph test kit for my fish tank, im seriously considering testing his urine myself lol

I have no plans on putting my cats on anything Hill's, but I am just wondering if I should think about switching foods. I used to rotate, but since I am currently feeding 4 cats it gets expensive, and Innova is the best I have found for my $$ since it comes in the big cans.

Sorry for the long rant, hope it makes sense. Just looking for some insight/opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about minerals in general but more so phosphorous.

Generally speaking, the basic diet recommendation for the average cat with urinary tract issues is a high protein/low carbohydrate canned food with added water and is one that is within your budget.

Taking it one step further, look for one that is low in phosphorus - either below 1% dry matter (not 'as fed'), or below ~250 mg/100 kcal.
It looks like Innova Cat & Kitten Canned Food is 0.36% phosphorous. It seems to be high protein/low carb as well. Perhaps, you could just add extra water to the food.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I'm pretty sure I have read that article before about how important water is, and I guess that is why I wasn't worried about it before. Banjo has a cat fountain, and I do see him drink from it, but maybe i will add water to the food as well, can't hurt, I guess?

And I want to mention that he has never had any urinary issues....my vet just said since he is a boy I can expect them?!

My vet seemed to not push on the importance of water as much....in fact, the Hill's urinary health food comes in a DRY formula.....why would any food recommended for urinary health even be available in dry form?

Why can't Lisa Pierson be my vet?? lol

·
Registered
804 Posts
My old vet put Tugs on dry c/d cat food after a urinary blockage... I'd now I'm all "what the crap..." because it's bad for him. I'm going to get a recommendation from my new vet on what to feed him (he seems well informed, as he told me to get grain-free wet food for my kitten). I can let you know what he says if you'd like. Of course, Tugs' problem was different from your cat's. Isn't interstitial cystitis inflammation of the bladder walls and different from plain cystitis? Very confusing...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts